Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-30-2010   #1
Police searches at Steamboat Ski Area

According to this month's 5280 mag, the police are searching skiers and riders as they head up the mountain at Steamboat Ski area:

Long Arm of the Law | 5280 | Denver's Magazine Since 1993

Has anyone experienced this first hand? I was planning on a long weekend there this winter, but I don't want to submit to an unwarranted search just to get up the hill.

kkarmbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #2
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The only time that I heard that this happened was on Gaper day last winter. I dont believe that this is any kind of regular thing.

markinsteamboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #3
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Was there thursday and friday and never saw anyone getting searched, or any police milling about looking to search people.
nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #4
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I live in Steamboat and I'm in law enforcement. I've been riding every day since opening day and have seen nothing to confirm that. Like markin said, only on Gaper day and sometimes the last day trying to keep people from getting wasted on the mountain.
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have not seen anything like the article depicts like all else have said. I have been on the mountain from opening day last Wed through Sunday and did not see any searches comparable to what is referenced in the article. No uniformed presence in the the lift line for the gondola that I noticed or any other lift on the hill. All in all it was pretty low key over the holiday weekend, no lift lines, and no hassle. I have definitely heard of several instances of officers being stationed at the top of the gondola waiting for idiots getting off the lift with obvious signs of illegal behavior taking place.

What I will say is come visit and I bet you will enjoy, it is too easy for the police to profile the people who might be "hooligans" with certain criteria. If you fit that profile, expect to be under heightened scrutiny. The snow has been unreal for this early. Over 100 inches so far and best November on record according to what I read today, heard they are opening more terrain either tomorrow or Thursday!!! I only hope the snow continues........
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #6
Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
I will respect the idea when a pig pulls me over half way down a steep bump run for being to bad-ass for public witness!

I like the closing of the article... A-basin...for those of us who want a bar in the back-country. Cheers.

Respect earns respect....violate this and get dealt with...cops or not
"With a wonder and a wild desire..." -Flogging Molly
feats of strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #7
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
back in 2004, they were cracking down on "smoking" in the gondola cars. i was in line on a big 15" powder morning in early december. someone in the front of the line yelled "cops on the gondola!" the call went through the whole crowd. people were yelling it back through the line as a warning to everyone that they shouldn't be smoking on the gondola on that particular day. if i remember correctly, about ten people ignored the warning and got cited by the sheriff that morning.

that was the biggest police "bust" that i've ever seen at steamboat. there are other times when the police are there though. gaper day, last day, etc. i personally have never been searched like i was in an airport security line like this story says though. that is complete bs. nobody is performing searches of people at the ski area.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #8
Golden, Colorado
The cops might be there looking for my friend Randy. He likes to fart so bad in the gondola that it smells like someone did diarrhea in there when we get out at the top. I'm sure it still reeks when it gets to the bottom to pick up the next load because we leave the windows closed.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #9
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
On Saturday I saw 4-5 officers lingering around the base of Peak 8 at Breck. They weren't busting anyone, but they looked like they were looking for someone to bust.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #10
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by JustinJam View Post
On Saturday I saw 4-5 officers lingering around the base of Peak 8 at Breck. They weren't busting anyone, but they looked like they were looking for someone to bust.
I see officers at Monarch doing this too. I believe it is to discourage disrepectful teenagers from stealing gear. It seems like every year they have to set up a sting to bust a "ring" of teenage thieves. I believe 2 years ago they busted a 17 year-old from Canon with something like 15 stolen snowboards in the back of his truck...so they aren't all up there to harass smokers (although I have seen FS doing random "hut checks").

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote