Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 12-01-2010   #11
Louisville, Colorado
Really? Hut checks? For smokers? Crazy. You can't through a snowbowl at most resorts with out hitting smoker of sort or other.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #12
Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
Last year a few of us built a snow cave/igloo at one of the pull-outs between the basin and keystone. We stepped out after a "session" just in time to meet an FS officer approaching. She let us know that we were in "Federal" jurisdiction and she was a "Federal" officer. We were respectful and she did not press it.

The point is that the FS seems to like the idea that they have kept the strong hand in this regard.

"With a wonder and a wild desire..." -Flogging Molly
feats of strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #13
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Park City

They are setting up stings where they leave a nice board or skis at a corner where they would be ripe for taking and then have someone watching out of the lodge window. I totally love the fact that they are going after theives of gear. Beat downs would be better, but I think the police up here are too honest for that sort of primal justice?
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #14
Denver,, exhaustion
well thanks for letting the dirt bags know about it.
unfortunately like it or not buzzards are just as likely to have the same percentage of douchbags as the rest of society.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #15
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

I've been on rivers my whole life. I've seen rafters steal camp sites, but I have never seen a boater take anothers gear. Boaters are some of the best people around, and we do a good job of passing on those ethics and expectations to those who join the fold in their teens.

This is quite difference than the vast number of teens on the mountain who parents have never skied or boarded with them. They've been dropped off at the mall all summer and the ski area all winter. Their role models are the park brats and mall rats that are two years older than them. It probably for the off topic board, but I'm not worried about the people on this site. While we can have philisophical debates on the course of the world all night, they aren't the ones who are going to rip off my stuff.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #16
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Steamboat Today: Ski area officials refute pat-down stories

here's the story in the steamboat paper this morning. looks like the sentiment of most people is that this story is bs. i don't know why the author is making this stuff up.

heres the story about the people getting busted back in 2004 that i wrote about earlier:

Steamboat Today: Eleven pot smokers busted at top of gondola
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
There's 50 plus shacks at big sky.. at least they knew who to stay away from cause those cannabis smokers smoke some dangerous stuff.. dangerous I tell you
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #18
West Copper, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
thanks for posting rhm...glad to see that Steamboat is standing up to this sort of 'sensationalism' journalism.
That sad part is people will read Kelly's article & maybe chose a different ski resort to spend their money at. Then local businesses suffer.
....Its the same at Vail, cops show up on the last day, thats it...(but always beware, they did take BBB away from us)
Chuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010   #19
B.F.E., Wyoming
Was at the 'Boat this weekend and didn't see a anybody that looked like a cop,and our gondy car might have been a bit hazy.....
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #20
The first article published was as about as credible as Mike Bohn at CU saying "We haven't hired coach Embree". I really enjoy how the author, a Steamboat local at that, states she's been patted down on days other than Gaper and Closing day, but refuses to specify as to when that might have been. I think she was stoned and couldn't remember.

I skied Steamboat all weekend and despite my best efforts could not achieve a pat down, reach around, or even a gentle pat on the backside. I did ride a chair with a US Forest Service ranger who had this to say, "Great conditions, huh?". I smiled and replied, "You bet, cold smoke!"

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote