Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 01-19-2010   #11
Boot Packing an established skin track? Get A Rope.

Thats the sentiment in the San Juans any way. But maybe we set better tracks and have more snow? Come on down.

PARKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #12
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Setting a skin track is an art . A good track has a flow that follows the natural terrain features for the most direct route with the most economic, efficient use of energy while effectively using terrain management to minimize exposure to dangerous terrain. Personally I like the steepest direct route that my skins will stick well to, with a minimum of switchbacks so I can get into a groove. But I also like the terrain that allows me to recover in between steeper sections and to conserve energy for the good part,the downhill, especially when doing multiple laps. Personal preferences, I guess. Skin tracks get blown out. That's just part of the game. Especially when I'm using the track that the young bucks put in on one of the more popular tours in the area, going straight up. It's gonna get slick. A couple of techniques that I use with difficult tracks are slapping the forward ski down until I feel it grab and then shifting my weight forward. If the ski shimmies at all, I know it's going to slip. I also like using half steps, then standing up straight on the forward motion allowing me to weight the ski more firmly and consistently on the bed surface. Sometimes I just flail Learning how to deal with switchbacks is perfected in experience. I use the same tricks plus I try to cut the radius of the kickback into smaller steps if I can. I also grab bushes, trees and whatever else can save my ass from lawn darting down the skin track. Rejoice, for we have soft sticky skin tracks in our immediate future. Have fun and be safe out there, Peace

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote