Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 02-26-2009   #1
Places to snowboard that are close to Denver?

and I did a search in the forum - and I know I am poaching this site - although I do lurk often - but would anyone be kind enough to create a list of places to board that are close to Denver? This is my first trip to real snow. I live in the South East and have learned to board on ice - on a really good day I might get one pass on blown snow before it is scraped off the top of the underlying sheet of ice. As luck would have it, I was given a plane ticket to Denver and am going to be able to stay a week. I arrive March 14 and return home on the 21st. I have no idea, other than DVDs, on what to expect or where I should even go. Since I have a free place to stay in Denver, I am going to day trip. Any and all help will be appreciated greatly.

Recruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Is cost an object?
If not: Beaver Creek, Vail, ABasin, Breckenridge, Keystone (in no particular order)
If so: Loveland, Copper or Winter Park (with Phillips 66 2for1 at WP or Copper) You can usually get someone at the window to split your 2 for 1 with you. Also check Craigs list for deals.

My recommendation would be to: go to the snow...follow snow reports and forecasts, but know that Winter Park always lies. variety is the spice of life, check out lots of different places. try to hook up with some locals to show you around.
Have fun!

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #3
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
What is your skill level, and what kind of skiing do you like to do? Do you like groomed runs, bumps, really steep stuff, gentle stuff?
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #4
Palisade, Colorado
probably the closest, at one hour: Colorado Skiing: Loveland

1.5 hrs:
Copper Mountain Ski Resort - Official Website - Copper Mountain, Colorado
Keystone Ski Resort :: Ski and Snowboard
Arapahoe Basin Ski & Snowboard Area, Summit County Colorado

might not be a lot of light, fluffy powder in March, but there will be mushy, heavy wet stuff. great, if yer used to ice....
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #5
ftc, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
If youre going on the weekdays either go wherever they got the most snow or just check out a new place everyday because most of them have got something good to offer. If youre going on the weekend go to winter park. The traffic going in and out of summit county on the weekends can ruin youre day (think 2-3 hours each way). Winter park skips the majority of the bumper to bumper traffic on I-70 and is just as good a resort as anything in the area except beaver creek/vail.
chasingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Eldora skips all of I-70 (and is closer than anywhere else) and can have some EPIC powder days in March/April. It's probably cheaper than anywhere else. You can buy discount lift tickets for most places at grocery stores in Denver, by the way.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #7
Thank you all for your help. I am starting to map out my days! WhiteLightening asked what kind of skiier I am - I am guessing I will mostly stick to blues. My understanding from friends who frequent the West for skiing is that there is no real way to compair what I have seen/done to what I am about to experience. I am guessing I will feel more comfortable on groomed runs, but again, I have no way to really know. Does that help answer that question? I am totally open to suggestions.
Again, thank you for helping me out with this.
Recruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #8
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I would suggest Loveland also, cheap, close, big and FUN!
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #9
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Just follow the huge line of traffic.....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #10
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

If you will be out for a full week, consider continuing on from wherever you're skiing Friday to one of the smaller "family" areas on that's away from the I-70 corridor for the weekend. For example, you could get a cheap motel room in Salida or Buena Vista for Fri & Sat nights and head to Monarch Mountain for skiing on Sat/Sun, then to go back to Denver (via US 285) Sunday night. This would help you avoid the god-awful weekend traffic and give you a feel for the more laid back atmosphere at one of the smaller areas.

Have a good trip!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote