Old 11-24-2009   #21
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
"NOPE i have never been there too far maybe this year if time and snow permit?"

Thinking brettb could have have started and stopped with his last statment. Since you have never been there I give very little cred to anything else you have to say about it.

My experience mimics the experience ec had and I have actually been there...twice. That being said, people that do not get into the backcountry very often might really enjoy the experience. There is no doubt that it is an amazing place to see even if the skiing does not turn out to be great (and it very well could be epic).

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #22
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Went last year in mid feb. and had mixed reviews. LOVED the mountaineering aspect of the whole trip. great views, and all the hiking you would ever want. but, yes, the snow farming sucks. lot of drops we were interested in taking and the guide just basically ignored us when we asked to ski them. if i were you, i'd definitely go, even in the guided season, just hope for a great snow day. BUT, even it doesn't snow, the one GOOD thing about all the snow farming, is that you almost FOR SURE will be cutting your own tracks pretty much all day. Be in mid-season shape though, or else you might only get 2, maybe 3 laps in. Happy shredding!

fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #23
Ouray, Colorado
skinning up!

I've only skied silverton mtn twice, both times unguided.

Silverton mtn definitely snow farms and when both guided and unguided is available, opens terrain to their guided groups before unguided customers.

One of the days i was there silverton mtn was reporting over 2 feet of snow, it was a great day until i got hounded by a patroller for apparently breaking a closure. It was a case of mistaken identity, the got the wrong guy, eventually we got it sorted out, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Having to book in advance is a bit of a crap shoot, silverton mtn can have crappy snow conditions, just like any ski area. But if you don't spend much time in the backcountry, and if silverton mtn has good snow conditions, then silverton mtn might be for you. Myself, i'll be skinning the san juans......

For a super lame experience try cat skiing on molas pass........
slowstride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #24
The next zone, .
You all should start looking at silverton as a town and not a ski hill and things will turn out in your favor!!

If you get into town on a friday and have to get in good snow on sat so that you are home by the donkies game on sunday and then get hooked up on a guided day with some chumps from chicago, tampa, or denver for that matter well.....

Now when you go - stay a week or so and if you are in town stay with pete at the bent elbow and get a balcony room. This will get you to the ski hill in enough time to meet your guide or friends. After your weekend friends have left (or on the first night in town for me) move up to the treasure hut. Great people, a great hut, and great terrain. There is both heli and sled access from the front deck.. Some of the best terrain and snow you will find in colorado.

I plan on going to silverton (the town) every year and I am going to go back there again this year. I may or may not make a day at silverton (the area) but if the conditions, group, and guide are right I will be in that lift line with bells on!!!
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #25
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Silverton is probably the coolest thing going if you are a resort skiing backcountry poser, but if you actually get after it, I would say it is a novelty at best.

First, the lift doesn't actually take you to the top, so, more often than not, you are still going to hike. That's cool, but if you told me you'd give me 35 bucks to go hike for the day I'd take the money, smoke a blunt, and hike for 100% of my turns. Essentially, if you are guided at Silverton, you pay 135 for 4-6 runs. Now, say you get in 5 runs, which is a big day at Silverton, you just paid 25 dollars to ride a life 2000 ft. On top of that, if you are guided, you have a guide who cuts a boundry and makes you stack your turns inside his little area. I got yelled at for dropping a cornice! WTF, I didn't come out to the 'sickiest' resort in Colorado only to be pigeon holed to a skiable area less than 75 ft wide.

Now, unguided I have not been. I am much more willing to pay 50 bucks and be pigeon holed to a limited number of runs on the mountain, sans guide telling me not to do what I came there to do. In this light, the mountain is actually pretty cool. But the guided stuff... I don't know, if you really have gone into the backcountry more than once in the season, and you don't consider the backcountry the gate at your resort, you'll be dissapointed.

That said, for people new to Mountaineering coming from a ski hill, it is a perfect segway to backcountry skiing, so I don't completely hate it, it's just unless the conditions are perfect, I'd rather buy a bag of weed and hit the backcountry for free than pay to ride a life 2/3 of the way up and be driven like cattle for the day.

Also, for all the defenders of this resort, I ask, have you skiied BC? If you have you'll know the terrain that makes you think Silverton is the sickiest resort in the world is common up there, and the lift brings you to the top, and you don't have to ski with a guide. So if steeps are your forte save up some more money and go ski the Canadian Rockies. Lift tickets are 60 bucks for the day, the terrain is just as steep and gnarly, and you can ride a Gondola to the top while you smoke half price weed and at the top you don't have a guide to tell you where to ski and what you can and cannot drop...

Just an opinion...

Just note: The gates to either side of this resort are open, and the Gondola takes you up 4,000 plus feet in one shot, in 14 minutes, and there are 70+ in bounds shoots. I know it's hard to gauge how steep it is, but let me say, I'd rather go on Vacation here. Plust the resort has only been open 10 years! Silverton eat you heart out!
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #26
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
after eight days on the same 3-4 man made runs

I'd give my left nut for some natural snow!!

At least the kids are enjoying it.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #27
Ouray, Colorado
That looks like Kicking Horse near Golden, BC, and yes it is a sweet resort.....
slowstride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #28
Durango, Colorado
Amen Gear Trader, that's Kicking Horse! Just wanted to put that up to offer some contrast. I haven't skied any resort in Colorado that even comes close to Kicking Horse, or the Banff/Fernie/Golden Area.

That said, I'm an American and they don't need any more dirtbags in BC. Colorado has sick mountains, sick powder, great people, and better weather (it's not god awefull cold for 9 months out of the year), so I'm not ready to be an expat yet. The Backcountry is still the backcountry either place. Plus they wouldn't let me into Squamish this year, and I have to wait till next summer before they let me back in cause I got a DWI in 05. You can't go to Canada if you have a DWI for 5 years after cause it is a Felony in Canada. However, if you are lucky enough not to be searched when entering the country you can still get in (unlikely not to get searched if you drive a Toyota with a camper shell, I wasn't the only one from CO to be turned away at the Vancuver border this year. We all saw eachother as we discovered Index by oppurtunity)!

But why can't we figure something like this out in Colorado? I haven't skied Telluride yet, but the only thing that even comes close is Aspen Highlands and Crested Butte. Still these resorts are laughable when comparing them to a resort like Kicking Horse.
Old 12-02-2009   #29
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
"So if steeps are your forte save up some more money and go ski the Canadian Rockies."

Only Durango trust-funder would consider a thousand+ dollars "some money".
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #30
Durango, Colorado
Considering lift tickets are 60 dollars up there, less than half the price of a ticket to Silverton during guided season, I don't think it would actually cost a thousand dollars more than driving from Boulder, paying for a hotel, and skiing for 3 days. Especially with a few buddies to share the gas and drive with.

And no I don't have a trust fund. I scrape by to ski. As a matter of fact I never had a pass to Steamboat during the 4 years I lived there and would hike from Fish Creek Falls to Pony to ride for free, or clip tickets. And when I was in Golden we were camping because we couldn't afford a hotel untill a local put us up because it was 35 below everynight for a good stretch and he thought we were crazy. I never bought a ticket to Kicking Horse. I sat outside and clipped tickets and got a comp one day.

I sure do wish I had a trust found, cause camping in Banff in January really isn't that fun.

It's easy to think just because someone has lived their dreams that they had more means than you to do it. Why not instead of insulting someone who worked hard for their experience, you put that energy into creating your own experience.