Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 12-24-2012   #1
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Novice skiing video - Blacktail Mtn, MT

I'm not a "filmmaker" and don't pretend to be, but I'm trying to at least make some visuall interesting videos to share with family and friends.

I edited a few videos with Windows Movie Maker 7; it was pretty user-friendly, but had a lot of limitations. I just upgraded to Adobe Premiere Elements. v11 is out, and I found v10 on eBay for $20. There are a lot of possibilities with this software--any limitations are mine.

Here's a video I put together yesterday:

Low-res videos were shot after my GoPro battery died.

I'd value any constructive criticism.
My own:
  • It's only 3:15, but could still be shorter. I might re-edit it so the "interviews" become voice-overs for the action shots. Cut it to maybe 2:00
  • No soundtrack. I couldn't find any decent non-royalty audio I wanted to add; decent stuff was $10-30--not worth it for a quickie vid. YouTube won't let you publish copyrighted audio. I might go to Vimeo.
  • The low-resolution video really sucks. When you start watching HD video then splice in VGA video, it sucks. I need to bring a spare battery/spare GoPro and keep everything in HD.
  • Good: I REALLY liked my clip with the girls skiing over/past the camera and I really liked the shot of our 9 year-old daughter Kenzie jumping over the camera. You DO have to plan these shots ahead of time--you can't make them up while editing!
  • Good: I liked the "chairlift pan" past the snow ghost trees at the beginning--I shot that at the end of the day, but it's good to have some filler/title material to use.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #2
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Shortened, re-edited:

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #3
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Thats cool man thanks for sharing
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote