Old 10-13-2005   #11
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Regardless of ski hill snobbery, there is fun to be had on *almost* any ski hill in Colorado, at least for me there is. But I can always have fun, there IS a party in my pants, after all. Gapers are going to be at all of the hills here except maybe Silverton; we won't ever be rid of them. That's why lots of us have jobs I guess.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #12
nice post whitelightning. I always joke that you can tell when someone hasen't lived in CO. for at least 5 years. Is they will dis a resort as not worth it. When we all know it's good to know them all cuz when your fav gets 2 and your least fav gets 10. Well dust on crust or face shots? One of my favs is Powderhorn weekday storm is like having the Shadows at the Boat all to yourself for the whole day.

When someone dissis a major resort as unworthy I also think. To bad you can't read a topo or a weather report makes me wonder what kind of snow you do find in the BC when you venture there . But I digres. I spent my formative years at Alta and the Bird so i was probably snobby at one point also. So no worries if you don't like Breck one less rearend I have to ride the lift with. Just kidding if you do end up having to ski breck give me a hollar i will still show you around.

And in closing i spend 329 on a pas that gives me unlimited T-Bar,E chair and the Poli (thats right at least half my turns)dis all you want the shit eating grin is going nowhere. peace love and 6 fresh. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #13
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Even though its been a few years since I hiked Imperial or the Lake Chutes, I'm bummed that they're putting in the lift. I found out about it just after the comment period had closed and wasn't able to register my "Don't put a lift up Imperial" voice with the USFS. I loved doing the hikes up there way back when and had some great days on the lake chutes before it was part of the ski area.

Hey SJ - don't you show anyone who's dissing Breck any of the sweet stashes we know up there! Let 'em go to MJ or the Basin!

Remember everyone - Breck sucks - there are lots of better areas! Wherever you go, you DON'T want to go to Breck!!!!!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #14
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Don't get me wrong: Just because I posted A-Basin as my favorite doesn't mean I don't love Breck, too. I spend about 40 of my annual days at Breck and can remember an epic day of top-to-bottom slushy hero-moguls on the Mach (In addition to countless other irreplaceable days on the infamous 6-Chair, or E-Chair for that matter). As for the new lift, I'm not sure where I stand. I look forward to not having to hike for the Lake Chutes, but then again, that is part of the experience. And of course I fear the snow up there not being as good as it used to be. Guess we'll just have to deal with it and wait and see about the conditions.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Andy H- Even if you would have voiced your opinion before the final approval, it would have just been trumped by a serious amount of VAIL MONEY! Nothing was going to stop that project.

As for the lift: Great. It will open up more opportunities to ski other Peaks. Have you heard of the master plan for this mountain? It includes opening more gates to access Peak 5, 6, 9, and 10.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #16
one word. WIND. how often is the t-bar closed cause of WIND? Good luck .
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #17
Marko it is my understanding that vail is working on getting 6 open for hiking. wind about 7 to 10 days a year just like the other summit resorts. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #18
wind blows south along the peak ten range from 1-10 the new chair is protected from wind on the south side of peak 8 and the unloading station is just below the summit of peak 8 it can run theoretically when it is to windy for other chairs at breck.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #19
Salida, Colorado
Highlands chair

For sure the steepest chair on the continent. Now there's another 1ooo ft
of vertical in Highlands Bowl.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #20
Snowmass ski patrol
Hey Whip, shshshsh.... Breck, Vail, A Basin and all those other Denver suburbs RULE!!!!! Nothing to be seen here in the roaring fork valley. In fact the skiing here pretty much TOTALLY SUCKS!!!! Even If it is home of one of the steepest new chairs on the continent... It will never be as good as Breck...

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote