Old 02-03-2008   #1
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Marker Duke as Alpine binding?

Is there any noticable difference in how the Duke skis compared to a dedicated alpine binding? My Naxos are a little mushier than my alpine bindings. My wife is looking for fat alpine skis, and I thought it would be cool to get some Dukes so she could do the occasional short skin with me (sounds dirty, doesn't is?). I just don't want to get those for her everyday ski if they are mushy for hardpack days.

Any personal experience is welcome. Thanks in advance!

It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #2
Couple of friends of mine who all use to compete on the World Freeskiing tour switched to the Marker Duke....My first comment was, "Marker?!" My next comment was, "no alpine bindings?!"

They both swear by them and have convinced me to get a pair. She will be fine on a pair of Marker Dukes. Buy them.

howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #3
Dreamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993

Ive been skiing the Dukes all winter and they have been awsome. They feel great they hike awesome and the din goes to 16...what more can you ask for.

danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #4
saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
Some friends of mine used them a bunch last year in the Jacskon BC and loved them. They also used them at the resort on hardpack groomers (crankin') and said they didn't need another binding. The dukes have all the ass they needed.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #5
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Dave, if you can get a hold of a pair getem'. Heck buy two or three! they are great, I have only come out twice, and I should have both times. they rule, tour well and are bomber, even for a marker!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #6
Park City/ Buena Vista, Utah/Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
One Comment... Most AT bindings have no ramp built into them. If you measure a normal Alpine Binding, you will notice that the heal is about 5mm higher than the toe, which creates, ramp. I ski the Diamari Freerides, and I built a plastic riser for the heal. 5mm high, makes the binding every good as anything out there. Gives it a lil more aggresive stance. I would check into that if you want it to ski like a traditional alpine binding.
rippnskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #7
Regarding the Ramp angle, the Dukes will set you up with a normal alpine binding ramp angle. They also have a much wider mounting screws (76mm if I remember correctly) for strength on todays fatter skis and don't have near as much riser off the ski as other AT bindings.

I've not had any issues with mine. The climbing bar could be a little higher, but that's far from a deal breaker, especially if you are a little heavier skier or tend to break gear. For me I would go Duke for a in-bounds out of bounds gear and for purely AT skiing, Dynafits.

Next year there will be a lighter all plastic Din 12 version of the Duke as well.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #8
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
The dukes are great! I've been using them all season on my Prophets and they rock. I'm big guy who destroys gear but these have been bomber. They're alot lighter than I thought they'd be. Lighter than any other "standard" alpine binding I've been on.
I was also really impressed with my Jester/Bridge setup as well but lost one after 10 days deep in the trees. It's buried until summer. Oh well.
Grab some Dukes if you can find 'em.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #9
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Sweet, a place I get a discount though work had them earlier in the season (with additional 10% off) but they haven't had them again since. Doh!
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #10
the zoo, Montucky
The Duke's are definitely where it is.

skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote