Old 01-18-2010   #1
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

One of my pet peeves now that I have children is people straight lining it through the crowded slow zones.

Yesterday I witnessed a guy T bone an 8-10 year old girl. Smashes to the ground and broke his collarbone and dislocated his shoulder. I'm surprised the girls dad didn't jump on him and finish him off. Anyway, Karma is alive on the hill. That guy will be going a bit slower in the slow zone for the rest of the season.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
I share your peeve, but am surprised to hear a lawyer espouse the virtues of Karma.

DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #3
Park City, Utah
Ha! Most of us are trying to do the right things in life. Everyone hates lawyers, except for their lawyer, who is the exception to the rule.
Old 01-18-2010   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
That's one reason I don't miss the mega resorts. I am more then happy teaching my kids to ski at a smaller ski area. But I had to chastise my 7yr old for going too fast in the slow zones last week. Happily, he listened and slowed down at the bottom of the hill. Now if a 7yr old can get it, why can't everyone else?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Happens at the small resorts too. Just had a friend snowboarding get clipped by another snowboarder at Powderhorn. Basically came up behind him and took his tail out from under him. He came down on the back of his head and although he was wearing a helmet he ended up getting a concusion (Didn't know it until he went to the on-call the next day and couldn't answer basic math questions). The kid spun out, stood up and took off without saying a word. They never found him.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I put my faith in the justice system = 'just us' and payback is a Medevac. These people are the reason I have to wear a helmet.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Are some ski areas more accident prone than others? My daughter is learning to ski at Winter Park and I cant believe the number of casualties I see coming down on sleds. Maybe its just that they all come down the same route, but on Sunday we saw six in a row. It does seem like WP has a lot of trails merging from multiple directions and a high number gaper tucks bombing down green runs.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #8
Indian Hills, Colorado
WP is def worse than some. Copper has a pretty nice layout with beginner skiing relatively isolated.
DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #9
Park City, Utah
Sweeping generalizations

I've taught two kids with another to go. I start them at 18-24 months. My 6 and 4 year old have been hit 4 times this season in about 30 days on the snow. Each time was by a teen age snowboarder. My kids love the parks, but kids seem to do a good job of watching out for each other there. I try to place myself between them and oncoming traffic and try to avoid terrain park access by groomers. Possibly going to one of the areas that don't allow boarders? I could rationalize it's a blind side thing, but the reality is each of these kids was just out of control. Now that they are into the moguls the whole problem is isolated to the merge areas.

Before I make someone mad, I ski and board, and don't think either is better or worse.
Old 01-19-2010   #10
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't think the resort has much to do with it. Personally, I believe it is an issue of lack of education. Younguns these days do not know the code. Maybe more are trying it on their own with friends who have not been educated by parents who enjoy the winter sports and knew the code. With the coverage on TV their are more newbies coming out, not taking classes, and learning from their friends who learned it on their own.

Snowboarders have a blind side but the talented ones knows how to board safely. Part of it is the same thing that gave boarders everywhere a bad name: it wasn't boarding, it was the demographic that took to it. We refer to it as YAMIC (young,adult,male,immortality,complex) i.e.-teenagers that don't think, do what they want, think they are invincible, and basically don't care about how their actions affects others. This same demographic were skiing before boarding was invented, they were bad boys on two sticks back then. When they took to boarding they were more easily recognizable and we blamed it on what we recognized: the board. Bad wrap!

Try skiing in AZ where the desert dwelling drive up to the snow with no idea of what it takes. Some don't have the proper clothing. No gloves, no eye protection (this one gets me, with this sun?) They don't take a lesson, can't load and unload a lift. Trust me, the carnage I have seen on any river anywhere does not hold a match to what takes place slope side in AZ.

Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote