Old 11-04-2004   #1
Denver, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Info on Berthoud Pass?

I am a newbie to backcountry skiing and I am looking for any info on Berthoud Pass. I wanted to find out any recommendations on where to ski or if there are any hazards to watch out for. I do not have any avalance safety gear and I am planning on hiking a few of the old ski runs this Sat or Sun. Any info would be appreciated.

allgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #2
berthoud pass

I've skied most of the BC terrain on Berthoud and my fave is Current Creek. I suggest the "Skiing Colorado's Backcountry" book as a guide that also has avy danger info. Never assume it is safe. Be sure. Current Creek is the first pull-out on the Winter Park side of the pass. Lots of terrain, most is safe, NOT ALL. Be careful, carry rescue gear and KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!!!!!!

marcysiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #3
ummm, are you serious? New to BC, no gear, and it sounds like you are by yourself this weekend.... Sure why not. The east side is the only side for you then, about a 20 to 25 degree pitch. That is it, and you crazy to think of anything else.

You should go to loveland pass. That place is like a ski area, and full of folks with no gear, but if you stick to the main "runs" you'll be fine, and maybe even hook up with someone.

Don't go getting any bad habits because you had no problems in the BC without any gear. It's like foreplay... it always leads to sex, with or without a condom, and then boom, your life is over because you have an std and a kid. Make sure you are prepared, so we don't have say someday, "should have worn a rubber dude." You are a guy right?
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #4
I just read my post...when I say east side, I mean right what you can see running directly into the parking lot, not the entire thing.
Old 11-04-2004   #5
Superior, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to Lurch
There have already been slides at Berthod this year. I wouldn't suggest going there with out at the very least someone who knows what slopes are and are not prone to slides.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #6

PLLLLLLLLLLLLEASE don't posthole the skin track.

I still can't figure out why boot packers feel that postholing a skin track is not a violation of bc etiquette. Have the correct gear before you go!!!!!!!!

Respect those who use this for access. Step to the side and post hole away.

PiToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #7
Howlie, looking to make turns with you up at berthoud. Don't tell me that school stuff has you busy. Give me a call 303-499-6988 or call Danielle and leave a message. -- Dan
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #8

Friends of Berthoud Pass
P.O. Box 48063
Denver, CO 80204
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #9
Hey Dan- Does Danielle know she is your personel assistant. How do I get one. I will call you soon, and yes, school is getting in the way, but I can make time, when the snow is good. I am thinking Wolf Creek area around Thanksgiving...maybe the weekend or Monday, Tuesday just before Turkey day.....Keep that in mind.. keep an eye on the snow. I want to go where the snow is......Thigh deep two weeks ago in Jackson.

Good to hear from you, and I will talk to you soon.

Old 11-12-2004   #10
Eric - I'm heading up tomorrow, Sunday, & Monday if you've got the time. Call me.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote