Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 02-09-2011   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks. I even got a second opinion, which came with a third, that surgery is all but mandatory for any high performance expectations for future activity.

skiing started out tentative. At first I thought i'd only wan to do afew runs a and call it. After finding a different groove and balance point (carrying both poles, but hardly using the right one) I was able to ski half decently and really had a fun time. I will greatly miss the rest of the season, not to mention most of run off.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #22
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Wow, Dave. I feel for you. First the heel and now this. I hope you heal up sooner than what they're predicting.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sorry to hear it Dave. Good luck with the surgery and recovery. Let me know what people do with themselves in the spring when they're not kayaking.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #24
x, x
Paddling Since: x
yo dave, just got my BH shoots, putting hamerheads on them and going big..... I will post a picture of all my hudge airs and drops, going for bathtub next.... you can live vicariously.... till you heal, then i'll be following you.

rest up bro, i'm going to need you for gore, anamas, upper clear creek, boulder creek, n f of the poudre upper, s f of the poudre, big south......
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #25
Boulder, 80301
Paddling Since: 2005

Man that sucks, let me know if you need anything.

Tom Troy
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #26
Boulder, Colorado
My shoulder rehab so far:

I trashed my shoulder skiing in late january. if you missed my story on the crash, you can read that here:

How my new rockered skis almost killed me

I saw Dr Wieder at Mapleton Hill Orthodaedics in Boulder, CO.

Anyway I was glad he insisted on an MRI, that showed the supraspinatus tendon hanging on to the the humorous by a thread. If he hadn’t seen that image, the Dr likely would have recommended rehab, during which it would have torn it free as soon as the weights got involved. Also torn was the labrum, which may have done okay with rehab, but since we were going in, he fixed that too, along with a sub-acromial decompression to allow more space in the AC joint.

Before fully commiting to surgery, I got a second opinion from long time padding legend and orthopod, Peter Weingarten of Colorado Orthopaedic Consultants in Aurora. Peter looked at the MRI, saw the damage and pulled in his colleague Michael Hewitt, who does nothing but shoulders. These guys know their stuff. Dr. Hewitt would have done the whole procedure arthroscopically whereas Wieder did it partially open along with arthroscopy. If I hadn’t already had it scheduled in Boulder, I would have dealt with the drive and gone down there.

That being said I am very happy (so far) with the results from Dr Wieder.

After reading lots of shoulder posts here, I was expecting a much more difficult transition post op. The first few day was spent high on narcotics locked to the couch. By day 3, I was not using meds except to sleep and then only through about day 5. not sure what else others may have done differntly, but I’ve not felt all the horrors I’d read about. I’ll spare the timeline of when I started performing various chores right handed but it wasn’t that long.

He didn’t have me start PT until 6 weeks post op. I’ll do PT for 3-4 or more months minimum.

Easy paddling should resume 4 months post op, which is mid June. Harder stuff not until 6 months post op or August.

Total price tag is somewhere in the mid $20K before PT. It’ll be costing me my max out of pocket of $5K plus lots of down time from work. I’m not supposed to swing a hammer for another month or two, I think.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote