Old 03-06-2012   #21
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Originally Posted by Iraft View Post
Bobbuilds,If you are that paranoid of a rollback you should stop skiing at resorts, or at least the one you ski at.
I think about it, and if it were to happen I don't think I could set it up fast enough.

I like the idea of being prepared to evacuate a chairlift. I am not really set up for it. I like what bill sugguested of 70' 7mm with a sit sling and chest harness. It is has a more active roll in the BC. but might be worth carrying in my pack inbounds. I dont have much else on resort days anyhow.

I would not want to be arrested for it, and I guess we are not in Europe so, I just need to relax about it.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #22
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The video of the rollback was during a series of tests and the operators who were doing rollbacks outside the operating limits failed to press the correct brake button hence the test went out of control. In a real life roll back there are 3 brakes and the rollback would happen at extremely low speeds to fully unload the lift. Getting scared about this lift testing video is like getting scared watching crash tests.

Now lift derailments is another story as they happen with surprising regularity...

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #23
Rollbacks sure do still happen. Definitely not a thing of the past! If that test video wasn't scary enough, how about some real footage from Devils Head resort in Wisconsin 2 years ago....

"I was in line at Devil's Head Ski resort in Wisconsin when the ski lift broke. It started to uncontrollably roll backwards with people still in the seats. It got going so fast that at the bottom turn, the chairs were being flung from the cable and the roof of the ski lift was being torn apart by the flinging chairs."

All 3 brakes failed just 3 months after the last inspection, due to massive gearbox failure. Ski Area Management magazine has a good write up of the incident here...

Gearbox, Brake Failures Led to Devil’s Head Lift Accident :: Ski Area Management

More news videos.

In a roll back, I would jump. It's certain pain vs. certain death.... What about you?

Oh yeah, here is the whole write-up of the op's lift destruction. Check out he part where they set it on fire.

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote