Old 10-19-2007   #11
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
any durangotangs or bayfielders want to explore around bayfield with me this winter? pm if so.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #12
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
My syntax is a little weak sometimes. That should have been "fifteen years ago". Yes, equipment has made huge inroads and BC touring is much more popular nowadays. And the whole Foam-Core thing is a drag (it's actually a really cool website ).I've skied hundreds of shots around here and I haven't even scratched the surface of what's out there, but shots with road access get skied out like ski areas nowadays. And people have been getting pissy about it as is evidenced by the Wolf Creek deal. My initial post was intended to direct people to Powderbuzz as a source of info. Frenchy created a great site and I'd like to see more people around here use it. It could be a very informative tool and great way to meet the community of BC users in SW Colo. So use Powderbuzz this winter, ski with some new friends and have a great winter.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #13
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
A little not-so secret, McMillan peak. You can hitch the shuttle. Molas pass. Red mountain also. 50000 people in three counties. How many do you really think are actually BC? Plenty of room for everybody. So don't worry, they are just coming from the front range. Ha!
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #14
Seek out Deb with the local chapter of Backcountry Snowsports Alliance. Great person and very willing to take you on a tour.... They have been successful in preserving Red Mtn Pass area for BC use.

Red Mountain Pass Chapter Backcountry Snowsports Alliance
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

People ski in Baytucky?
Proslackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Around Steamboat it seems people are either sledders (not my style, but I'm not a hater) or off resort types. I've not met anyone up here that is into getting out ski mountianeering style in the winter and is also free to go. It's always too cold, too dangerous, too busy... It's cool how big of a response this thread had. BC skiing is a group sport if you want to maximize your safety margin. This year I am saying the hell with it and I've scouted out where I am going to hang this winter and I am just going to go solo and stay off exposed stretches.

Anybody want to meet up in central Colorado to ski some peaks this winter? I'll drive to ski with some people that like to hike.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #17
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Central CO Peaks

I would be excited to tag some Central CO peaks this winter, Ecspecially in the Sangres. I was working in Summit county for a while a couple of years ago and was surprised at how few people ski the backcountry if you ignore Loveland and Berthoud....

Dont forget that the San Juans have some of the most aestetic lines and big peaks in the state. You dont have to drive far for an epic adventure.

As far as Steamboat goes there are some hardcore skiers north of town, they may use a sled to shave 12 miles of flat off an approach, but they will skin/boot/climb like animals

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #18
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Looks like T-Ride is upping the ante. Being able to hike Palmyra and the Prospect terrain this year makes the drive a little more worth it. $85 bucks is pretty steep though. Anybody know what the deal on T-cards is this year.I can't find any info on the resort website. Are they offering them at the skis swap in Dgo this weekend.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote