Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-11-2003   #1
Don't look gift skis in the mouth... help a brotha out!

I want to get a good friend of mine a set of skis as a gift for helping me out. He hooked up me & my gf with cars for super-cheap (he works at a dealership) and is generally a great guy and friend. I want to replace the old 1987 210cm straight K2s he has with something new. I generally would not try to buy someone skis BUT he has 2 young kids and a new house, so there is no way he is going to spend the money on himself. He has mentioned that he wants to try shaped skis (!), and did upgrade his boots & bindings last year.

I'm a snowboarder that knows very little about skis. He is 6'4, 270 lbs and what I would call an 'advanced' East Coast skier. He primarily skis mid-Atlantic groomed hardpack (blues and some blacks), not into too much jumping, but goes pretty fast and smooth for a big guy w/ bad knees. He only gets out a few days a year. I've seen some deals lately on closeout, and I'm wondering what would be a good setup. Skis I am considering are Rossi Bandits and Fischer Big Stix around 180-185 cm(?). Should I go shorter? Suggestions? I'd like to pay ~$200...

Am I way off, and should not try to buy someone skis? he isn't too particular about equipment (obviously), so I think he would be pretty much happy with anything after riding those old clunkers. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks- Ben

BenBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003   #2
Stundent/raft guide
Send a message via MSN to JKB
Hey Ben,

It's great to hear that you would do this for a friend. First off, no ur not out of line buying someone skies. Second, both of the skis you are talking about are more of a all mountian ski to powder ski. If I were you I would try to find a ski that is more for groom because you said he skis groom/hardpack. Ask the ski shop about this where they are giving discounts at. Third, A 184 is too short for him. My park skis are 183 and my mountain skis are 193 and I am 5'9. To a snowboarder this sounds big but to a skier it makes since. Try to find out what size ski he is already on. Last, if I had to pick one of the skis you posted I would pick the rossi bandits because I like this line of ski. Well, this is just my suggestion. I ski raced for a long time so I like a lot stiffer ski and think that an east coast boy might also. Good luck>
Peace, JK
When I was a boy I was told anybody could become president. Now I'm beginning to believe it. -Clarence Darrow
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote