Old 11-16-2010   #1
Boulder, 80301
Paddling Since: 2005
Dog Booties?

I have a golden retriever and she seems to have issues with the snow hurting her feet. We have trimmed the hair between her toes but snow still seems to pack in and she ends up stopping on the trail and holding her feet up. Has anyone used dog booties and can recommend a good brand that will hold up?

Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #2
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've tried different brands, but haven't had success getting them to stay on my golden's feet. All have been good when they have stayed on her feet. They're fine on packed snow, but come off when she is slogging through powder. The velcro straps that tighten them around the tops of her feet are not strong enough to counter the snow resistance when she picks up her feet.

I thought of sewing on some kind of elastic straps that connect each bootie pair, front and back, over her body to try to hold them up and on, but haven't done that yet.

I had heard of spraying Pam non-stick cooking stuff on her feet and so I tried that, but I didn't see much, if any, difference. It just delayed the inevitable.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #3
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
My Chessie has some Ruffwear booties that have lasted a while. She has the short ones and I usually tape them on with some athletic tape. The next set I get will be the taller ones. sells some as does other stores with hunting dog supplies. She usually only wears them when the temps drop below about 20*F, or on desert sandstone hikes. If it's warmer and the only problem is snow balling up, I just use Musher's Secret. It's a wax that keeps snow/ice from building up between her toes.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #4
Boulder, 80301
Paddling Since: 2005
Mushers Secret nice I might try that thanks!
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #5
salida, Colorado
do dogs release heat/cool themselves through there paws?
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by psu96 View Post
do dogs release heat/cool themselves through there paws?
No, they cool themselves by panting.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #7
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn

a handler for an Avi dog said the crystals cut the feet.. teeny cuts.. Vaseline is enough protection/keep snow from adhering to paws, and dog still has the feel of the paws.. but i am sure booties are good too. Oh and this conversation was many years ago, so my memory of it is very distant, but this comes to mind

Call Copper mtn Ski Patrol, I bet they still have avi dogs there. The handelr will be able to give you more info than you could possibly want to know
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #8
Most dogs have this problem. It's not just ice. Even in soft snow, snow gets between the dogs toes.

I tried the hair trimming on my Golden either. Didn't work.

I've gotten bootties to work well. You have to put them on tight. And I still loose about one a season. So, I bought an extra set and carry them with me. I've bought a total of 16 booties, all different brands and they work fine. My Golden is 9.

A Golden in the snow and back country is fun. Happy dogs.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #9
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Lot's of guys who hunt over dogs know this field dog trick. You can make dog boots by cutting a piece of bicycle inner tube into a strip about 12 - 14" long. Slip it over the dog's paw like a sock, leaving about 8" of it hanging down. Fold the extra underneath the paw and up the bottom side of the leg. Tape it securely into place going round and round the leg with adhesive tape. Do not tape so tightly that you cut off the blood circulation to the foot.

read more detail here..Nebraska Fish and Game Association

BTW - if you don't already, take your dog hunting. They were made for it
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #10
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
That's a pretty neat trick Scott. I'm sure dogs love those. Before I read that, I was thinking to myself that you could buy a rolle of neoprene and sew together some booties for them, but it'd be harder and wouldn't hold out the moisture. Maybe a neoprene sock under the inner tube boot, for the person who wants to go that extra mile

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote