Old 01-20-2009   #21
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I would recommend flying. I had two friends get red-carded (I'm not sure what that even means) from Canada in an attempt to go skiing just because they looked suspicious and the border patrol wanted to fuck with them. They were informed they were drug smugglers and there was no evidence AT ALL weighing against them. They were also trying to come in from Montana, pretty low-key to start with.

Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #22
Evergreen, Colorado
Considering that 1.2 Million Americans get a DUI ever year, I wonder how many tens of millions of dollars in lost tourism revenue this costs Canada per anum.

Looks like 2013 would be the earliest I could be able to head up there without issue.

Good thing I found about this when I did, I'd been planning to head up there to snowcat ski sometime soon.

I'm guessing as tourist dollars get scarcer, these sorts of rules might be relaxed or changed, you never know.

kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #23
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
porkchop makes it to canada

So hears the dealeo. After researching this boarder crossing problem very thuruoghly online I still didn't have any solid data on what to do or what to expect. I did talk to to one friend who was able to shed a little light on the subject. When he was crossing the boarder with his sister in-law they were pulled inside because of a dui that she receieved three years prior. My freind told me that she had to get some some character refrence letters faxed up and they let her cross. I tried to sell my spots and even thought i had sold them on one occasion but the deal fell thru so i figured what the hell? The worst thing that could happen would be that i'd be out $2600 for the cat and go ski for a week with my wife at white fish. So i got together a couple of refrence letters and off i went. sure enough got to the boarder and pulled inside. she told me there was an issue because of a dui conviction i had. I told her my story and what my freind had told me. she asked when my probation was over and I said 06 and she eplained I wouldn't be allowed into canada until 2016 and that they only grant passes in extreme situations. AND I WAS LIKE OH SHIT HEAR WE GOor don't go). I explained i contacted the consulate and it was to late to get my money back for the trip. She asked a couple more questions and said your wife is really going to be bummed if you don't go on your trip. then she asked if i had any other arrests and i told her in 99 i was arested for dui but it was all dismissed... she told me she was going to grant me a temporary resident permit but with the second arrest I'm going to have to call immigration. (SHIT SHIT SHIT) a hour and a half older and $169 poorer and i was in canda. the skiing was great w/ vallhala I could only imagine what it like on a good snow year. they are only 50% of average snow pack but the town of Nelson kicks ass!! any ways i've said enough it was quite the ordeal but i made it.

oh yeah for swimteam101 i didn't see any body drinking and driving in canada(yeah right) only half the the local snowmobile club was in the ditch after the poker run. if you canadians are so morally superior what are you doing down hear anyway eh?
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #24
God Damn

After seeing this thread I got to call out Canada. Now you boys can drink, fight and play hockey, but your country is the red-headed step child.

Does Singapore let you in if you have a past drug conviction? Do they let you in and then shoot your ass?
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #25
Evergreen, Colorado
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
she asked when my probation was over and I said 06 and she eplained I wouldn't be allowed into canada until 2016 and that they only grant passes in extreme situations. .
That seems weird, the research I did said it's 5 years past probation completion date, not 10.

But of course she did let you in, as soon as you paid your $165

I'd love to know if the USA does the same thing canucks, it seems a bit much.
Old 02-23-2009   #26
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
That seems weird, the research I did said it's 5 years past probation completion date, not 10.

But of course she did let you in, as soon as you paid your $165

I'd love to know if the USA does the same thing canucks, it seems a bit much.
As I was gettin turned back from good ol Canada by some little tweener and giving him an earful he said we do the same thing to them.

Sounds like ya got lucky, porkchop.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #27
Evergreen, Colorado
Nothing a Global Economic Meltdown can't fix!!
In a couple of months the question will be "how much money will you be spending in Canada on your visit"
Old 02-23-2009   #28
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Oh Canada .Hope you got to hit Bald Face Mtn while you were in Nelson. I'm here because my lady was born and raised in Minturn we have family here to help with are son and anyone can move to the USA . We go back to Fernie and Nelson for at least 3 months a year and maybe for good some day. You could say it's lame that we don't let everyone come visit or become a citizen but thats the way it is. The dui thing is simple DRINKING AND DRIVING IS STUPID AND YOU GOT CAUGHT. F@%K YOU PAY ME. I love Colorado it is a great spot with great mtns and whitewater but it has it's share of stupid rules to. 200 dollars for a Medical card so you won't get robbed by the cops for smoking a little grass. F&%K YOU PAY ME. I felt the same way.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #29
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
here's a goog boarder crossing story. I grew up in upstate NY only 2 hours from Montreal. We would cross all the time. Back in like 02 we decided to drive from NY up the Montreal and then across Canada to Squamish.
Boarder crossing from NY to Montreal was super easy. The Canadians are dead set that they have a highway, but a highway in American in a seperated 2 lane road. What the Cannucks call a highway is actaully a road like 6 in Colorado, or the Road from Silverthorne the Steamboat. Anyway, we made it to Ontario before realizing it was going to be a big mistake to drive all those miles on that type of road, so we we ducked down through the upper P of Michigan to find a real highway. Drove accroos the northern US and went to enter the Canadian border from Seattle to Vancuver.

I smoked my last joint before the boarder figuring I was entering weed land and no one would care. Boy was I wrong. The boarder guy dug through my ashtray, found a Roach and preceeded to throw my dreadlocked Girlfriend and I (also a nappy headed hippy) into a white room and question us for hours about where and how much cocaine we had in the vehicle. Finally we convinced him we were just stoner climbers and to let us by. At the next window towards entering Canada they asked me how much money we had. Assuming they were talking about cash, and not wanting us to have a bunch I told them $13.40 and my girl said 7 dollars. We did have cards which we planned on using to pay for stuff. They told us we couldn't enter Canada unless we could prove we had 50 dollars a day per person. Now we were planning to camp and were going to live off of 30 dollars a day the both of us. After making somewhat of a scene they let us in with a 5 day pass, which we would have to come back to the boarder to renew.

The next time on the way to Golden to ski Kicking Horse the guy took a cue tip and swabbed my dash and said he knew we had smoked weed in the car in the last 48 hours, which we had, but we left our stash on the side of the road in Montana. Incidentally the town was called Sweet Grass that we chose the cross in. This cop was much cooler and realized we had been through this before and let us go with minimal hassle. It was also like -35 below outside so he did a cursury job of searching our car, which was clean.

iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #30
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
Interesting you bring up border crossing in canada. Some of my boys had a big surf trip to bc. They got to the border with all their gear And one of my buddies had a dui from 3 years p revious. They wouldn't let him in the country. Singled all my bros out said they didn't want a bunch of alcoholic drug addicts surfers ruing their country. They ended getting in minus my friend with the dui. Only due to sponsorship calls and that they were there to film. A big run around and there was no swell in 2 weeks and the 45 degree water.

caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote