Paddling Since: 1993
What say you now Brandon?

Lets hear it. Keep the party going.
Joe, how was AZ?

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #82
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Wow, IcantRide is real!? Wow. In that case I wanna hear more about his style. All black with the switch alert on. Wow,he just sounds rad. And the starter check, classic! Where was he from?

Pllllllease post his pass picture next time he's caught Lettin er fly on Spring Dipper, if you can catch him.

....and I hope some douchebag admin didn't remove my picture from the last post.

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #83
keystone policy

well, icantride is certainly not worth any more thought or words, but since we have a keystone patroller reading here, thought i'd look for some clarification.

a couple buddies and i got busted a few weeks ago going up to bergman/ericksons from the trail at the base of the lodge a little down from north peak. it was shortly after 1:30, and the trail closes at 1:30. it was presidents day, and the patroller we encountered on teh way up was pissed. he probably spent his day dealing with guys like icantride, and wasn't taking any of our rationalizations. so the trail had a closed sign posted in the middle of the access, and it was clearly after the time it was supposed to be open, but my deal is this:

i go alot to the beav, and if you get out on the hikes there, they are all chronically posted as "closed", but are not roped. just like the keystone access to bergmans/eriksons. i am guessing that this has something to do with the hikes there leaving the resort, while the hike at keystone is still in the resort? it is pretty confusing, got one resort where closed equals open, and another where closed is closed.

i used to think that as long as it wasn't roped, it was good to go?

can someone clear this up?

BTW - my 2 buddies got their pass pulled for 2 weeks, while i just got a warning....was up there again yesterday for so some oh so fluffy turns! if you haven't been to keystone in a while, and are a keystone hater, you might want to check it out. the actual bergman bowl is a little too flat, independence takes quite a bit of leg work, and eriksons is pretty sunny, but the ericksons terrain is pretty good, and the trees off the access to bergmans/ericksons is pretty good.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #84
Denver, Colorado
Bummer to hear about your 2 buddies getting their passes pulled, I have been cutting ropes and going down closed trails for years, never had a problem. It seems like the patrolers there spend most of their time going after characters like icantride or smoking herb in the trees. Maybe that is why the closed sign is there, so they have a place to roast down. More power to the stoney patrolers, they are much easier to outrun that way!
LoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #85
PACNW Native
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Let me first say I can't vouch for the SP here in Colorado, nor do I really have any background knowledge about the owners of the mt's. Nor is this a rail against any previous posters.. except maybe the OP. However, as a former patroly up at Jackass (now Silver Mt) it was more then frustrating that we had to spend most of our time chasing down rope jumpers. Although some kids would think that we were roping off an area for no reason, every time I was planting 'em it was for a damn good reason. Anyways... I had a particularly nasty reminder of why I get a little peeved, we had just set up a slalom run for one of our kids race teams training sessions. Myself and a few others were on the edges of the track against the trees in case something happened, when a guy (possibly Icantride ) flew out from the trees above, cross cut the track (which was icy by this time) lost control and took me out. I left with a 4 inch fracture in my wrist 3 broken fingers and a smashed nose. When my bro's pulled his pass and took him down to the hut, they asked him why was he 'there'. "uh... because I saw a nice run on the other side of the trees and man.. i was totally under control until she got in my way." Now, generally I have found a lot of the patrollers in CO aren't to bad. I was up at the beav myself awhile ago and some beautiful looking runs were closed for business. I asked one of the patroly's I came upon elsewhere and he said that that particular run was being used for training something or other later in the day. I just said cool and asked where he thought was good today, I ended up somewhere on Grouse mt on a beautiful line through the glades.
Anyways I am kinda confused like Steve and ask of CO patrollers for a little clarification on sign/rope closures, it doesn't seem to be consistent between each mt.
Also... I am on the lookout for a guy in all black that is in total control of the WHOLE situation. Obviously the rest of us who believe that we will always be learning have not achieved the ultimate nirvana of perfect rides every time. my number is 867-5309.. call me my gorgeous guru!

**walks away snickering
Hic Sant Dracones
mtthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #86
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Steve, that's exactly what's happening. Many of the Beaver closures are leaving the resort. Technically, you still have to go through a backcountry access gate or you are considered to be cutting a closure. The gates are set by the forest service and not the resorts. They are generally way out of the way to try and decrease the extent which the ski resort impacts the surrounding forest. Erickson, bergman and independence bowls are within the Keystone resort. Therefore, we have to sweep and avalanche control them, which requires opening and closing the bowls. These closures are generally enforced more strictly than closures leaving the resort for liability reasons.

As far as ropes are concerned, the skier safety act actually requires each skier to know what terrain is open and closed and ski accordingly. So technically, neither ropes or closed signs are required to have closed terrain. Realistically, we try very hard to delineate open and closed terrain with signs and rope. Generally the problem only occurs when people cut through the trees from an open trail to a closed one. If you're un-sure the correct answer is to ask. We'll tell you and if you're polite, you just might get a good powder recommendation. A sign in the middle of the road leading up to the bowls that says closed next to a sign that says the bowls close at 1:30 definitely means the bowls are closed.

As a final note, I've never met a patroller who signed up to pull passes. We're just ski bums living the dream and taking care of a few people along the way. So, if you get contacted for whatever reason, the best bet is just to be polite, honest and recognized that we all share the same dreams of powder without injuries. It wont get you off every time, but it generally will with 90% of circumstances.

And one other thing, it seems as though hit-and-run injuries are on the rise. So, look out for your friends and if you're involved do the right thing and stop. People who get caught later go to jail (remember that all the runs end in the same place).

Diatribe over,

P.S. I definitely do not speak for Keystone, Vail resorts, KSP or as a legal expert on the skier safety act. Just my thoughts and opinions.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #87
PACNW Native
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
kudos, thanks for the clear up on those runs
Hic Sant Dracones
mtthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #88
The next zone, .
Super funny post... Out of control skiiers and snowboarders... Taos will never be the same.. Is Joe a troll.. Funny..

Patrol is just doin what they get paid to do.. Dont hate..

Readin this post reminds me why I NEVER ski the front range cattle drives.. Moooooo...
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #89
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
if you are hit

Quick question if you are hit by someone.
Does the person being hit have any input to what happens to the person who hit them?

Skiing/riding is an adrenaline sport more than less and is "inherently dangerous", one way for many of us to realize our spirit of adventura. The balance in life in general between protecting the population while still allowing a sense of adventura is a delicate one being overrun by the litigous society we have created.

I am still torn between whether I should have reported the incident when I was hit.
Ballhooter, not holler, was probably closed for night skiing shortly after we went through. Lot of stars aligned just perfectly or imperfectly for this fella to hit me, maybe he was meant to learn something before he pulled a "Brandon". I thought he would go to jail if I reported it although if he had hit my son I would have been fine with that.

Did I screw the pooch on this by not reporting it? Kinda feeling that way in retrospect.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #90
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Obviously, the skier education class didn't have it's intended effect. Of course the patroller that had the second discussion with Brandon didn't realize it was the second discussion. Thanks for posting to us here Brandon. Basically, the decision was then made from up high to have him come back in and fix snow fences for an afternoon to retrieve his pass. If you've ever worked with snow fences, then you know that they are nasty wood and wire deals that invariably bring sweat and frustration and usually wreck your clothes.

So Brandon shows up with a Burton "bag", bandana tied around his calf and skeleton gloves. Oops. The wire and wooden slats made short work of his gloves. Ten minutes in he had the bag unzipped and folded down around his waist as sweat steam rose off his head. Priceless. Hopefully a little toil will provide respect for other's work. We shall see..
Wow are you guys smell funny, you're funny to look at....I could go on but I won't.

You ski patrol guys were sooo macho, standing around joking while I did your work for you...."Lazy" is what momma would call it and you'd not get any Chocolate....

Good thing I spend more time being the Rippasaurus I am on the hill and not "getting back at the Man" by posting here during work.

If you don't eat your meat, how can you have any puddin?

The problem with having a Jethro Tull cover band is getting people to listen to Jethro Tull...
IcantRide55 is offline   Reply With Quote