Old 02-29-2008   #71
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I strongly disagree Ric. It's not knuckle daggers that cause accidents, its dumb or clueless or overstimulated people. Look at Aspen (Ajax Mtn), when they opened to snowboarder only a few years ago, people thought that the world as they knew it was going to end. Everything if fine as far as I can tell.
Now lets look at Aspen Highlands. Wow... they have some of the steepest and most dangerous inbounds terrain in N. America. I think snowboards can handle the terrain just fine.

By the way, pull up your pants young shralper, I'm sick of seeing your A$$.

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #72

If some little 20-39yo shithead on skis can't avoid a snowboarder HE's the one out of control. Seek Legal action...the little asshole patroller is just another young asshole westerner who can smear powder and thinks he's a professional, well he isn't very good at either....and he represents the resort. This will make the resort look seriously at him and their hiring procedures while accessing the outrageous prices.

BigSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #73
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
But taos has different fan base then aspen ever will!
Time will tell
I know locals in taos.I'll fill you in next year,i'm sure this thread will still be going.
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #74
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
skiing tears up the powder more than a boarder that knows how to board. and whats up with mogals?

2 steep for boarders blah blah. have you tried it?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #75
PACNW Native
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by monkeyaker View Post
"I hucked that hit so phatty you couldn't get your head up that high!...... Dude, I was almost sponsored. More than likely you are throwing bombs in the lift line with the chicks cuz dude, you couldn't handle my speed. The only thing holding me back from the pow is not having my pass now, but soon I'll be out there....."

I just wanted to make it known that not everyone who lives in Summit County is a complete moron. Not everyone talks like an incoherent monkey douche. Some of us are real normal people. With belts around our waist instead of our knees.

I just wanted everyone to know that.

Now I'm out to hit the madd pliggity pow chowder before this knuckle-dragger flames my freshies.

Hahahhaha, I thought the original morons post was great.. but you made it better. I am laughing so f'ing hard I am crying. I agree with you about Summit County inhabitants. Generally if they have worked/fought to live there, they appreciate it. Seems to me like ICant is riding on daddies wallet.
Hic Sant Dracones
mtthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #76
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Originally Posted by ric View Post
blah blah blah blah...with that said the Taos ski area is about to have a wake up call!
In days the mountain will be open to all snow riders.
Check with patrol in one year and look at their accident reports to see if it jumps up?
They've had no fatalities in years, how long will it take?
Nothing personel boarders, but that is one steep ass mountain and I'm sorry but boarders do change the nature of a mountain.
Not to mention the wecks on the road up to the chairs
Or will it be more going down the canyon?
Oh well, nothing stays the same!!!!!
This is not a static Universe

Icantride is a troll.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #77
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It's not a troll, but I can see how "icantride" would be seen as too stupid to actually be a real person.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #78
Silverthorne, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
hilarious thread

What a hoot! Thing is, I think I have met this kid. He tried to purchase clothing from the shop I work at. I remember him because he came in and was upset that I wouldn't take his starter check from an out of state bank. If I remember correctly, he talked about how he "doesn't like to make turns" and vowed to "spray gapers in the face". Keep in mind this guy was in our store buying a full price new Burton outfit (anyone who is really "in" up here knows how to avoid that- pssshhhh). Oh, and he refused to wear anything other than the color black, telling me things that were not black "weren't really his style". Black is soooo out, by the way.

As a Summit County local who not only works at a rental shop but then gets to ski alongside the tourist varieties, I will acknowledge that I'm often less amused than frustrated to share a chair with someone unenlightened about safety bar warning etiquette, but these same folks are the ones who donate memorable quotes such as "does that come with shoes and sticks?" to our catalogue of tour-isms. And unless Bran-don-da-don-don-dong is actually living off of his parents (if you are count your lucky stars, it won't last long) these are the same folks who drop tons of cash and often (i suspect) go into credit card debt just to have their ski vacations which keep this little economy chugging along, including allowing us to make our meager to modest wages and more importantly, live the dream.

As for ski vs snowboard, everyone deserves to enjoy what they prefer and not get any grief for which they choose. I think arguing over who causes more incidents is pointless because I believe really strongly in this thing called "personal responsibility"- if a person collides with you it is their responsibility and generally it is due to the fact that they are inexperienced on whatever equipment they've chosen- not simply that they chose that equipment to begin with.

But back to our boy of the season. Brandon, even if you don't care about someone else's vacation experience, the safety of others, or being creamed when someone's dad goes berserk on you because you nearly/did hit them (see this article) you can always think of the person who inevitably matters most- yourself. While I'm not the greatest skier (and a humble person at that), I can ski the whole mountain with care and confidence, including some of the jumps in your favorite place- the park, as well as some in my favorite place- the forest! But I biffed it one early December day after my friend and I were mimicking ice dancers on a green road at Copper. It was a really dumb thing to do in the first place, but worse yet I fell wrong and tore my ACL in the process. I missed an entire season of halfway decent Summit County "gnar" because of this one really idiotic move. Thankfully I did have insurance or I'd still be paying for the surgery, but my knee is still not quite right. Not that I ever possessed the cavalier attitude you do (look it up in the dictionary), but I have become an even more cautious skier since that happened. You can have a lot of fun out there for years to come (unless the locals run you out of here first or you just get sick of having your pass yanked) if you treat yourself right. Not that you ever fall, but next time you are cruising at Mach 5, ask yourself how many bones/ligaments would break/sprain/tear if by some freak chance you caught an edge or hit an unexpected patch of ice and actually fell. And if you really want a challenge apart from "how many people can I narrowly miss in one run?", try skiing the whole mountain.

Oh, and if you ever "tap my skis" I will personally see to it that you also have a chance to check out the awesome new Peak 1 Medical Center. And don't be fooled by my leisurely pace- I CAN catch you if I need to.
mayberafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #79
PACNW Native
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Mayberafting.. kudos. I would lay down my pass to ski with you any day. (did the same to my right knee a few years back)
Hic Sant Dracones
mtthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #80
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Originally Posted by IcantRide55 View Post
So things have been GREAT, what with the snow and me getting my pass back and all, riding the PHAT powder, but I had to go back to Keystone's park. It is the best park around, but today they had a part of it closed FOR NO GOOD REASON. I popped over one of the fences, caught some freshie and some railie, next thing I know I am getting hasseled by a park guy who goes on this power kick and calls...yup...patrol. I get lectured by some med school dropout, made to go fix the fence, and then let go with a warning.

Lucky Break!
Alright, Tom's right - no troll. I was in AZ creeking when young Brando had his second discussion with a "med school dropout". But, I'm sure you're all psyched for an update and I just couldn't deny my homies on the Buzz.

Obviously, the skier education class didn't have it's intended effect. Of course the patroller that had the second discussion with Brandon didn't realize it was the second discussion. Thanks for posting to us here Brandon. Basically, the decision was then made from up high to have him come back in and fix snow fences for an afternoon to retrieve his pass. If you've ever worked with snow fences, then you know that they are nasty wood and wire deals that invariably bring sweat and frustration and usually wreck your clothes.

So Brandon shows up with a Burton "bag", bandana tied around his calf and skeleton gloves. Oops. The wire and wooden slats made short work of his gloves. Ten minutes in he had the bag unzipped and folded down around his waist as sweat steam rose off his head. Priceless. Hopefully a little toil will provide respect for other's work. We shall see..

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote