Old 12-30-2008   #1
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Booting or Shoeing in the Skin Track

In Vail there is still lots of ignorance in back country educate. If you are booting or snow shoeing for your turns, then great, but stay out of the set skin tracks please. Skin tracks look like really set in ski tracks. It's easy to tell the difference between a snow shoe trail and a skin track, plus it really doesn't help that much to walk in it. Really, if you find yourself in a skin track without skins remember your about to ruin someone's day.

HogFabrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Or like this guy said...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MORANS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	916  
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Death to the bootpackers (especially) and a pox on the snowshoers who fk up the skin track!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #5
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
This is new to me

I guess I'm spoiled in that in the last few years there have only been a few other sets of tracks where I access. I've never had boot tracks, and the snowshoe tracks don't bug me that much. on so many ridges, there is only one safe line. Are they tracking out your switchbacks on the trip up? That just seems crazy?
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #6
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Deal with it

Stop skinning up my boot pack to east vail and out of mushroom up to the ridge. Break a new trail it will only make you stronger. More than 250 people a week are hiking up it's a super corporate ski resort not Denali. With all the idiots hiking up caused by, printing maps and labeling pictures in ski mags and newspapers (thanks self proclaimed locals) you should sell you epic pass and find a new spot. Death to the Poma
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Ha! Gotta love watching boarders flail on the poma! I have never laughed so hard as when one boarder tryed clinging on, as his face was smeared in the snow for 100'.

A few years back, there were some boarders booting up a ski track for the ski chutes. Being ungrateful skiers, we passed the boarders on the side, and when they gave us flac for asking that they stay out of the ski track, we returned the favor by switchbacking the entire chute above them. Karma is a bitch! Man were they pissed! They gave up halfway and went down. We ascended the top and traversed to an adjacent chute for some fresh turns!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #8
the fort, Colorado
get over yourself

i sometimes ski with a couple of boarders who still snowshoe. if we're lapping a certain area, and i come through the area after they've been through the skin track, it's not really that big of a deal to go over their tracks. the first pass through seems to consolidate the snow pretty good, and my skis float right over their tracks. i say get over it and learn to deal. it's called a multi-use forest, after all.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #9
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In this case it was a area that I have had to myself for some time now. secret it out, which bums me, but what can you do... we do leave tracks. It's just respect to leave a switch back skin track to skinners. It's better for them to boot right up and not that much harder the 1st time, way, way easier every time after that. just get a clue if you don't already have one.
HogFabrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #10
San Juans, Colorado
bootin da skin track.

Bootin the skin track is BS.

A few years ago I was at Targhee and they opened up Molly's Nipple for the first time in a while. There were like 40 snowboarders in front of me booting. Being the ever prepared skier I put on my half skins and chilled near the back until the first guy was several hundred yards from the top. I then made my pass, every boarder was yelling obscenities at me. When I passed the lead guy he yelled at my for skinning in his boot pack. He threatened to kick my ass. I told him to meet me up top and he could try, as he caught up to me, he literally threw off his gloves an came at me. I just clicked in and put in about 4 giant turns off the peak, over the cliff and laughed the whole way.

In the san juans bootin in the skin track isn't usually a problem unless you ski where all the other jack asses ski. A competant skinner/skier can be miles away from where even the most determined bootpacker can get in a matter of minutes.

If your favorite area you frequent reagularly is getting booted, throw in some 'dummy' and stupid skin tracks, for bait. I have tried that and it is funny to see some booting a dead end skin track i just skied out of.

I have found that if you have problems with bootpackers you arent far enough off the beated trail. Usually putting a skin track through some heinous treed switchbacks will discourage most booters. Exceptions are Teton Pass and other places where boot packers are a plague.

Here to a kick ass winter shaping up, even for you boarders...

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote