Old 11-04-2005   #11
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
This is the link for El Diablo cat skking on Molas Pass outside Silverton. The terrain is mixed between open rollers, nice trees and desent steeps.

The people who run this are very cool. They are kayaker/rafter folk who know how to treat customers and have a great time. I don't know the price but it is worth checking out. It is a couple thousand feet higher than san juan cat skiing so it holds snow better and the runs are longer.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985

There are 2 San Juan outfits the one you're looking at in Durango and the other is in Creede.

These guy were way cool when I went a few years ago. Didn't even mind when we busted out the green wax. Even hit the bar in Creede with them after the trip.

Don't know about the Durango tour.

riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #13
Go with one of the cat operations for sure.
I second to comment on Silverton being a rip off. Felt the same way about the one trip I had there, sick terrain but felt like I got robbed for the ski time. 4 runs started late and finished early. I'm all for safety and making sure everyone is on the same page before skiing but they need to get a faster start and go later.
I did about the same amount of vert the next day on red mountain pass with my skins.
Poach Silverton if you ever get the chance on one of their off days.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #14
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I've only done monarch. Our group got 23 runs in for 85 bucks a head back in 1997. At that point we shattered the runs record. Don't know if it still holds. Steamboat looks good, but we can you can get to all the sic terrain via a sled real easy. So if you want fresh, you should go rent a sled and backpocket your SM local buddy. I think you'd be bummed if you were in a cat up on SM and not a sled.

Mr. Baker, do you concurr?
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #15
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
If you have a 5mtn pass you should check out the Keystone Adventure Tours kat. It's around $70 for the full day if you have a lift tix. Be looking for it to start running into the back side of independence (awesome vert) in late december/early jan.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #16
Why yes Kent, I do....and by the way, where's my free nookie you powder monkey?
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #17
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I got yer copy. . . there good buddy. Gimme your address and I'll shoot you one. Powda snow all day!!!!

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #18
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984

There's a big debate about sleds in the area that Steamboat Powdercats operates in (Buffalo Pass). The problem lies in the fact that the area would not be very accessible for sleds if the cat operation didn't spend the early season prepping the trails in for tours, and packing the snow down throughout the season. There's also a problem with sled groups not knowing how to take safety precautions in the backcountry, so they wind up following the guides down all the safer lines. It ends up taking away from the experience for the paying cat customer, and sometimes puts them in danger- the guides know that a certain side of a slope is safer, but the sled skiers don't know that and might set off a sketch line on everyone.

The sled guides are worried that if too many folks start cutting up lines in that area, the operation will lose customers and not be able to sustain operations. They pay a substantial fee to the Forest Service to take customers back there, as well as preseason prep work, and they could wind up closing up if the area is overrun by sleds. Then, of course, the area wouldn't be that accessible to a lot of skiers because the relatively long drive in via cattrack wouldn't be there anymore (at 400" snow up there per year, taking a sled through deep powder for that far is pretty risky).

I think the cat operation is not looking to shut the Buffalo Pass area off to sledders, but looking for a compromise to keep the groups separate and to maintain the uniqueness of the experience for the paying customer. They also have an interest in keeping the enterprise profitable and therefore keeping their jobs. I don't think it would be as big a big deal if the sledders didn't poach the cat groups' lines, but we had that problem when we were up there- a couple of dipshits without any safety gearhad basically dropped in on a manky slope directly above us, after following us around all day. The guides were pissed- they told the guys to go find there own lines, there's 100's of acres out there to choose from, and if they didn't have the skills to ski safely alone, they shouldn't be back there. That incident was not just unique to our group- the guides say they deal with that scenario almost every time they head out.

It's an interesting discussion, and I'm not saying that the sledders don't have a right to be back there. Sled owners pay taxes and it's public land, of course. But I think if someone decides to go up to Buffalo Pass to shuttle sleds, they should give the cat groups lots of space, dig your own pits and ski your own lines... and appreciate that clean cat track leading up to all the great skiing that's back there. Or, better yet, get an alpine start and ski in yourself- the cat guides will cheer you on.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote