Old 02-08-2006   #11
keep it simple. Buy another Tracker, same batteries, same everything. Plus its Colorado company. ABC!!!

shantyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #12
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would buy another if I could get a deal, but my pro form is from Ortovox. I do try to buy locally, but I also need the $100 bucks I can save for other things.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #13
The next zone, .
I bought 3 of the x1's at the start of this season - we had been using tracker beacons - no problems with the x1 they are easy for even a nuby to figure out.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #14
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I never hand over without testing them and/or coaching them on beacon use.
Are you joking? Coaching them on beacon use? That's like saying you're going to coach a non kayaker on pin rescue at the side of the river, handing them the throw bag and then running a class V for the first time. Beacons aren't for borrowing. If you don't OWN one you shouldn't be going where you need one.

Also after extensive use, Ortovox makes a vastly inferior product. The x1 is ok and the m2 is worse. I've seen them both stop transmitting during a burial.

Spend the money, save a life. Tracker is the only way to go with experience.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #15
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Not kidding. I've taught several people to use beacons, mostly the Tracker. I'd have to disagree that you shouldn't go with someone if you have to teach them to use a beacon. I've taken people on day trips and taught them beacon use, terrain selection, etc. I'm avy certified and a ski patroller. I just don't have any good friends to ski with who have beacons, so I was thinking of buying a second one and training some people who I might take on some ski area accessed BC runs.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #16
I personally use an M2 and find that if you practice it's an awesome beacon I also have an F1 that's the same way I just feel better with my M2 for more advanced search options. As for JCkecks' comments on them ceasing to transmit they (Ortovox) discovered thaey had a flaw in the battery compartment and it's ability to properly hold in place the variations in battery size amongst brands, so they redesigned the battery door and all is well. They also claim there weren't any issues with that failure in the field only lab testing. Although I do agree with keck that even with a tracker I wouldn't feel comfortable going out with someone who had a ten minute overview of how to find my body under the snow... most burials are around 2.5-3 m deep and most people only practice about a meter or so deep the added depth can really throw a rookie off course.

couloircat is offline   Reply With Quote