Old 01-10-2008   #1
Avon, of mind?
Best Hut near Vail?

My girlfriend - oh fiance now, keep forgetting that - and I are looking to do our first hut trip in late March. Anybody have an opinion on the best hut to hit near Vail? We have a place in East Vail, so I was thinking Eiseman would be cool, but I'm open to suggestions. We will probably be traveling on split boards, but possibly snowshoes - neither of us have but skis on in a very long time...

On a different note - I've got a split board project going here at East High School (Denver) where I teach if anyone would like to join in and cut up a perfectly good snowboard...

cheers - think snow!

Keep it simple. :)
Beav212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #2
Eiseman would be a real bitch for a first hut trip. It's long and kind of brutal with the climb and all. Just when you get all worn out, you have the wall to climb and beyond. Maybe Shirne Mountain Inns would be better for your first trips. Only 600 feet elevation gain and less than 3 miles. I can get into that one on skis in about 45 minutes BUT others have taken as long as 3 hours to get there. Depends on your condition and abilities and for a first trip, I would think shorter would be better.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #3
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Eiseman is the best the 10th Mtn System. The terrain wihtin a mile (most out the front door) and hut are unparalled.

Like Geezer need to be in shape though. If you guys are, then its an easy decision, staying in east vail.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #4
Metro Area, Colorado
I have only been to the Fowler/Hillard Hut so I can't say how it compares to Eiseman, but it was a great hut. It is a decent trip up but nothing difficult and totally worth it after you are there.

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #5
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Agree with Cecil....Fowler is definitely in my top 3...skiing is great there (and close to east vail)
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote