Old 10-29-2008   #1
Berthoud Pass Warming Hut

Hey all,

This morning was a ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open the new warming hut and Continental Divide Trail trailhead at the summit of Berthoud Pass.

The shelter is the product of a lot of different parties coming together to get a project completed in record time. Partners in this project included the US Forest Service, Great Outdoors Colorado, Colorado State Parks, the Continental Divide Trail Alliance, the county commissioners from Clear Creek and Grand counties and Friends of Berthoud Pass.

One of my contacts at the US Forest Service told me, "I've been a ranger for more than 20 years and I've never seen a project come together so quickly." Just three years ago this was nothing more than an idea. The conceptual elements, environmental studies, needs analysis and funding fell into place in good order, and this is what we've got...

The new shelter is situated just north of the old lodge, right overlooking the Shop Chutes. I didn't take pictures of the entire site, and now wish I had. The Continental Divide marker has been pushed back from it's old location in the middle of the parking area, to a location about fifty feet to the south-east of the new building. The parking area accommodates roughly 120 cars, though I'm certain with smart placement, we can squeeze in a few more on busy winter weekends. There is a single, dedicated vehicle entrance to the lot, with good sightlines in both directions over US40, so merging on and off should be easier. Pedestrian crossing, in the form of a zebra crossing with blinking lights, is going to come in Phase II (whenever that happens).

The interior is sparse, but utilitarian. The walls are treated particleboard, and corrugated aluminum, the floors are concrete. There are large south-facing windows to absorb solar heat as well as a radiant heat system through the floors. There is a bench around the entire room and a picnic table will be added in the near future. There is minimal florescent lighting.

We would have liked to see solar or wind-generated power for the project, and that might still come in the future. The room is coded to hold as many as 80 people, but realistically I'd think it'd be a tight squeeze with more than about 40. The windows are double-paned and eventually there will be some sort of metal grate over the lowermost portion to prevent accidental breakage. There also is a provision for some signage inside. We're putting together a draft of what we'd like to see as far as information on basic avalanche awareness, and contact numbers for avy reports, Friends of Berthoud Pass, local rescue groups etc. There is an outside chance that we'll be able to use a small storeroom at the rear of the building to cache some ski patrol rescue gear, but those details won't be worked out for at least a couple of months. Any ideas on that are welcome.

This is what you were really looking forward to, I know. Me too. Low-tech composting toilets. Separate ones for the menfolk and for the wimmins. I don't know the technical specs of the facilities, but I'm sure the USFS could provide that without too much trouble.

No running water. No sinks. No mirrors. Just what ya need. There will be small waste receptacles in the bathrooms, but at present there is no plan for trash bins anywhere at the summit. This had me a bit miffed initially, but in thinking it through, it sort of makes sense, insofar as minimizing trash on the whole. With barrels or bins up there, the tendency is that people dump everything out of their car into the receptacles available. There is a high cost logistically, as well as monetarily to remove trash, especially in the winter, so the govt is loathe to get into it.

It's a decent structure, and one that we hope will last for a while. Our role as good citizens, and as concerned users of the Pass, will be to do our best to maintain the facility. This means not tagging or littering the place, doing our part to remove trash and ice, educating others about following our lead, and helping to make vandalism a non-issue.

I can't stress how important this is.
Right now the plan is to keep the building open every day all day. 365, 24-7. This will change the minute it has to. That is, if people start using it to camp out in, party in, etc. we'll lose it. It's designated a day-use area, and law enforcement likely will kick you out if you're using it after hours for more than emergency or rest use. There is a very small staff of Forest Rangers who will be up there periodically to shovel snow, and generally keep the place up. If you run into them, introduce yourself, tell them you're a Friend of Berthoud Pass and ask if there's anything you can do to help them. They're good people and they'll certainly appreciate the friendliness. I'm pretty certain they're installing security cams, and they might wire them to the web if we're lucky, so we entire Internetz can monitor the place. Kewl.

Friends of Berthoud Pass will be taking it upon ourselves to provide trash collection and facility maintenance on an individual basis. That means every day I ski up there, before I head out, I'll take five minutes to pick up any litter I see on the ground, tie a trash bag to my bumper, or somewhere useful, and at the end of the day, spend another five minutes picking up and then haul my stuff off the Pass. The Forest Service has offered us free bags and use of the dumpsters at the district ranger offices, which is pretty cool. If I see an unsafe condition, I'll try to fix it and then report it back to the district ranger to be properly addressed. I urge you to do so also.

We're pleased with what they've done and proud of our role in making it happen. Is it perfect? Hell no. Is it better than we had last season? Absolutely.

Let us know what you think. Any ideas you have as far as interpretive and informational signage, designing a protocol for rescue equipment, building maintenance or other issues, please let us know and we'll work with the land managers to implement as best as we're able.

Cheers, see ya at the Pass!

Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #2
Sweet, good to see its finaly finished. Last winter it was just a foundation i believe. Seems like theyve been building it for years since the lodge was torn down.

willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I checked out the warming hut for the first time this weekend and want to commend all those involved. This is an excellent addition to ensure that the place we love stays unspoiled! Nice work.
timbrown365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #4
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
berthoud warming hut

I saw some guys with a camp stove cooking in there,and wondered if this is accepted.I think it's great,especially on days with high wind.Doesn't seem like a problem considering the concrete floor and minimal flammable materials.Nothing wrong with a little coffee and Baileys after a couple of runs!
TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #5
I can pretty well bet the USFS will frown on fires inside the hut. But that's because they are the federal government and they're kinda concerned about not having a brand new $750,000 building burn down a few weeks after it's opening.

They're weird like that.
Old 12-16-2008   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
I can pretty well bet the USFS will frown on fires inside the hut. But that's because they are the federal government and they're kinda concerned about not having a brand new $750,000 building burn down a few weeks after it's opening.

They're weird like that.
I would have to agree. Looks like a decent sheltered patio outside to fire up a camp stove.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #7
The next zone, .
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post

They're weird like that.

WOW!! That hut cost $750,000....

Nice hut and I am sure it will get a bunch of use as more people seem to ski berthod pass than just about anywhere in the bc.. It is great to be able to get out of the elements to warm up or exchnge stories with other users... What I am sayin is that I think that the number of people up there shows that a hut will get use, is a good idea, and it is good to see one put in.. So I am not hatin on the hut - AGAIN it is a good idea, it is a nice hut, and will make it easier for people to access the BC.. It just got me thinkin of how our good old govt can burn through the cash!!

It is classic how much money it takes the good old govt to get things done!! 3 quarters of a million....

Crazy but I was just lookin at a house that had buliding costs of about $700,000. The house was 4 bedrooms, 4 and a half baths, off the grid, on full water, sewer, power, hot tub, sauna, tennis court, dish tv, internet, slate deck, a bunch of land, over 6000 sq/ft with alll the goods they will take $625k?????

Amazing how much it costs the govt to get something in.. But I guess the AHRA pays over $250,000 for a just a shitter here on the ARK so it looks like we taxpayers got a deal an a 2000 sq ft 3 quarter of a million dollar warming hut!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Agreed. Truly painful what it costs govt. to get anything built. I imagine this also has a bunch of volunteer hours in it that don't even count towards the total cost.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #9
The next zone, .
Yea, I know..

Or you could look at it like we got a warming hut for the cost of a missle or two that just dropped some where in the middle east..

Just a bit of sticker shock this am..
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #10
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a lot of money and I'm sure it could have been done for less money.

That said, it's not fair to compare a residential project to this hut. Residential doesn't need a NEPA analysis, doesn't have to consider construction at 12,000', doesn't have to be ADA compliant, doesn't need to make concession for 100+ parked cars, drainage, snow removal, composting toilets, radiant heat, etc.