Old 10-22-2006   #21
I tested a bunch of different beacons and ended up selecting the Ortovox M2. You will probably get a different opinion from everybody you ask, but here is my opinion.The Pieps DSP had difficulty with multiple burial senarios, continued to return to beacons which had already been flagged. The problem with a beacon that 'thinks' for you is that you don't have the raw feedback to work with if the beacon's microprocessor gets into difficulty. The ortovox has good range, about half that shown on the dial, but requires plenty of practice and knowledge of some multiple burial strategies. The Tracker or Barryvox, while having less range are very intuitive and easy to use, more suited to recreational users and guided groups, who do not have the skills to use the Ortovox effectively. Ortovox is putting out a new unit, but as with most technology, the first generation often has glitches that need to be sorted out. So for my two pennies worth, I would go for the M2 if you are going to put the practice in, or the Tracker if you are looking for an easy to use unit, but with less range. Whatever beacon you get the stats for deep burial are not good, avoiding getting caught in the first place ought to be your primary concern.

kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #22
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Here's my point. If you want to get into BC for the powder, do it right. Take a class. Practice serious scenarios with mulitple burials in different beacon positions with some deep burials. I know you should rarely have to look for more than one person, but searching for more will make you a lot better and more confident in your beacon. Be confident that you could find two well buried beacons in 100x100 in less that 2.5 minutes. Find experienced friends and go with them starting slowly. Everyone should enjoy the BC.
However, I see most people watching the weather channel and see it's a powder tomorrow, so they call someone with two beacons to try and get BC. No experience, no class, and stupid friends if they take you. The gear becomes worthless.

Andy also makes a great point that a whole lot of fatalities are trauma related and it makes almost no difference how quickly you find someone. Have a good season. Let it snow.

P.S. How about three old AT guides on the same buzz post?! How you boys doin?

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #23
Yeah AT! first on last off! how's it going Joe? Just got down from the Q at the Beave and we're shy 2' by about an inch it's looking good.
However back to beacons I definitely agree with Joe about practicing deep burials because that's were it gets trickiest and I've seen some very skilled beacon users have a 2m burial totaly stump them. And as that's similiar to a realistic scenario practice those deep burials, although I think we can make an exception for Dylan so he doesn't have to dig deeper than he is tall...
couloircat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #24
Vail, Colorado
Couloircat: Who might you be, so I know who is insulting my manhood? Kidding. AT ROCKS. Thanks for the consideration for not having me have to dig too far down.
JKECK:"Pigpen" Of course I wouldn't go into the back country w/ someone who has not used a beacon but as sandbagger mentioned, you have to start some where. No need to get into some seriously hairy sh%t but places like Berthoud or Vail pass would be fine for a newbie.

BTW, where do you guys store the rocks that are in the river during the winter time?

Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote