Old 01-22-2009   #51
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
48 hours playing hoops with the illegals from south of the border in eagle huh?

Originally Posted by tboe101 View Post
I went to jail for deceptive use of ski facilities in the eighties. Judge Buck Allen doesn't take kindly to such behavior in his town. It's worth $579 to never have to stand in front of him and listen to his lecture.

Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #52
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Ultimate pass theft story

I was going to school in Bozeman, and my cousin stopped by on his way through a winter-long ski tour of the west. This was almost 20 years ago, when they had those weird ski cards you could buy to get discounts at ski areas, they were brand new then. So he came up to Bridger with me and went to buy a day ticket. He came back, said they gave him a free one, and he could get up to 50 free! They thought it was some olympic card or something, a VIP thing. Well, he pulled it off for ONLY 47 tickets, what a great freaking winter. He slept in his van in our driveway for almost 3 months. Absolutely unbelievable. They finally realized their error, and didn't hassle him. Not theft of services if they hand you a pass because they are dopes!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #53
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by vardaddy View Post
How do theft of services really cost the resort anything? Sure you can argue they lose out on selling a $98 dollar lift ticket but nothing was actually taken from the resort that needs to be replaced. Those chairs are going to run regardless of how many people are there. In fact the resort really has no clue they lost anything unless they catch the person. Pass prices are not going up because a few people sneak on to the mountains. Pass prices are going up to pay for other upgrades and I'm fine with that. Vail and other places may claim their passes went up because of people sneaking on the resort but they are just blowing smoke up your arse and you are falling for it.
SkiCo mulls raising fine as pass frauds rise
by Andrew Travers, Aspen Daily News Staff Writer
Friday, January 23, 2009

Login or register to post comments
Printer-friendly version
Email this Story
As of this week, 80 skiers and snowboarders have been caught using mountain passes fraudulently in local ski areas. Aspen Skiing Co. Senior Vice President David Perry said it was a sharp increase from last year, and that the company will decide next week whether or not to raise their fine for pass fraud.

Currently the company charges pass scammers $196 (that’s a $100 fine plus the price of a day’s lift ticket). The second time skiers get caught they can be banned for life.

“Because we are seeing this increase in incidents we are strongly considering raising the fee,” Perry said.

The company does not normally turn over pass fraud cases to police, except in extreme situations like one recently when a man attempted to use a pass that was not his three separate times in one day in Snowmass.

Perry credits the rise in perps caught to the new scanning technology implemented on the mountains this year, which give the company the person’s profile and can wirelessly send a photo to lifties with hand-held scanners.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #54
I just learned that the lift line scanners get $70 for each bad pass that they catch. Wow, that's motivation.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #55
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
sounds like a good job. my friends would have to give me buds inorder to get on the lift otherwise. zap get out of line sucker.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote