Old 09-04-2007   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
AT, Tele, or Splitboard???

Alright all you backcountry powderhounds, I am looking to cut in on a little of your bounty this year and am trying to size up just the basics of the setup I want to get. AT gear creeps me out a little... seems chincy and less supportive than the DH gear I am used to breaking. I love tele but am mutch better on DH boards or a snowboard (Have been off the summit of Mt. Washington through Tuckermans on all three though ). And finally what seems to me to be the most attractive option right now is the split board. Looking for pros, cons, and epic adventure stories to get me psyched for a season that I believe will be unrivaled!

arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #2
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
AT - get the fritschi bindings. grip it and rip it.

The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #3
Julesberg, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Good to see I'm not the only person this side of the Mississippi whose riden tucks.

Actually I'm that guy with approach skis and a snowboard. Why not all three? with all the money you'll be saving on not buying lift tickets. Hands down nothing floats like a snowboard in the deep stuff though.

I'm new to the CO. BC scene and most the people I've met out this way are inbounders only. Are there any clubs or other message boards to pick up on the out of bounds beta? (other than the website formally known as

If you're gonna go AT, NAXO's might be a little heavy but they are built strong like bull.

Ryde164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #4
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd go AT. That is to say I went AT in pretty much the same situation, except not as much snowboarding. The split board would be a good option, but I'm a skier at heart.
I've had no problem with Naxos, mostly BC, but a quite a few days in bounds too. An AT set up is not a DH set up, but they have gotten pretty close these days. If you are worried about burlyness of bindings and gear check out the Marker Dukes, and alpine boots don't tour quite as well as AT's, but do just fine.

Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #5
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996

Go AT--I've seen both broken Fritschi's & Naxo's, but both are pretty bomber. Also allows you to use alpine boots with either binding (save a bit of money).

dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #6
Palisade, Colorado
"I'm new to the CO. BC scene and most the people I've met out this way are inbounders only. Are there any clubs or other message boards to pick up on the out of bounds beta?"

check and teton gravity research (
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #7
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
As a snowboarder w/ a splitboard, I say that skis are the way to go in the BC. When I'm on the splitboard, I can usually keep up w/ skiers going up-hill. The advantage I see to skiing (AT or Tele) is in touring. Even for short sections on the trail, going downhill in ski-mode w/ a splitboard isn't that easy... can't weight the tips & only one curved edge. Plus, taking time to clean snow & ice off of the boards to switch back to snowboard-mode is a pain in the a**. It's time consuming and it's hard to do w/ gloves on.

I had about 4 days at the area on downhill skis last season and rented AT for a hut trip in the spring. I'm making the switch to skiing this season mostly so I'll be able to ski in the BC instead of snowboard. BTW... I tried Tele a few years ago and it didn't click for me like downhill did (I'm prolly just not tough enough to Tele ).

Anyway... IMO AT & Tele are both better than a splitboard, especially since you already know how to ski.

Kendarflugen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #8
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
God, you guys are all way off. Snowshoes are the way to go!

Hehe, so uh, just shootin from the hip here so here ya go...

There is no definite way to go in the BC. Do what you wanna do. If you wanna split, do it. Cant speak for the AT/Tele gear but I can promise you that splitboards are most definitely a viable option for the BC.

I keep up w/my tele/AT crew of friends just fine as do the other 5 or so splitters I know. Dont care for that argument.

The only con to Splits is they are slightly heavier, so what, gets your ass in shape.

Splittin downhill just takes time, practice and form. I love to ski my split downhill(when touring obviously). And traversing isn't that much harder than the other options, with good technique.

Taking time to clean your edges and transition your board to ride mode should take all of two minutes, if that. Hardly a pain in the ass. Once you get your routine down, really-it's not a problem at all.

Sounds like your really leanin towards the Split, you wont be disappointed with what it brings you. Just get informed, take avy classes, get good gear(from your gloves to your layers to your shell-the higher exertion you put into touring demands a different set up than at the resorts)Talk to experienced people, etc. Voile, Never Summer, Prior, Venture all make solid splits.

oh ya,
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Although I've never tried splitboards, I think I would agree w/ Kendarflugen. If you wanna board in the bc, just pack along some snowshoes, since you would have to take the board off anyway to put it back together and re-configure the bindings at the top. Smallish shoes will keep you from postholing and will be easy to pack in most bc packs. Just try not to screw up the skiers pack-trails too bad!
After many years of inbounds and bc boarding, I picked up tele a few years ago strictly for the bc convenience. I found tele on hardpack to be way closer to boarding (think toe turn, then swicth toe turn on a board being similar to tele turns), at least on the groomers and hardpack. The chop and powder of the bc is way different, probably similar to downhilling in pow (but I wouldn't know).
What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #10
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Slowshoes are absolutely not the way to go in the Backcountry unless your just planning on hiking hard packed trails maybe. Plus the AT'ers, splitters and the Tele crowd will despise you for wrecking their skin track.

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote