Old 09-07-2007   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Leaning towards the split

Hey, thanks everyone for your opinions, knowledge, and experience that I hope to gain. I am leaning heavily towards a split board right now, with the only drawback I can see as the crampon issue, but the only crampons that I own or have ever used are for soft boots anyway, so I think I'll be allright. (Crampons scare me anyway, I'd rather take longer cutting steps with an ice axe any day). On another note, anyone have suggestions on who to take an Avalanche level 1 course with? I have found several providers offering different experiences, with a minimal difference in price ($70 dollars difference over three days I can hang with). I just want the best training I can get. Allong with that, the earliest classes I have seen are in late December and early Jan. I want to gain knowledge and get out as quickly as possible, but is it worth doing some lift service early season, and waiting to take a course later in the season when the snowpack will potentially be more diverse? I just want to get the most out of the course I take that I can, and I don't know how much of it is book compared to actually looking at snow. I have 27 years experience w/ snow conditions, but I never paid much attention to what was causing them, or how they could react over time, though I am definately aware of the crystaline structure that is broken down to a ball bearing structure due to heat and pressure. Wow, just realized that the beer got to me and I'm ramblin'. Thanks again for the info.

arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #22
Fort Collins, Colorado
I took my Level 1 class through Colorado Moutain School. I thought that it was a great class. They offer it in two locations, one in Winter Park and the other in Rocky Moutain National Park. I took the course at RMNP becuase it is a great opportunity to get to explore some bc in an area that you may or may not have been to before. There is also a hostel in Estes where you can stay for like $20 a night if you are in the class.

teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #23
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Level One

No matter what you do take an avi class in a continental snowpack, Colorado is probably consistantly the "most continental" in lower 48, with steamboat being an exception sometimes. I have had friends take avi classes in OR and WA where faceted crystals rarely exist. You might as well learn in a dangerous place.....
I took my Level I and II at Silverton avalanche school. The instruction there is unbelieveable, with instructors from snow safety, CDOT, patrolers, forecasters, etc.... The San Juans are often the most unstable snowpack around. I know that most acredited level one classes in the state will be good to great.
I found my level one class did more to scare me than to help make my own choices based on risk/terrain/weather etc. After sking in the BC for a few years before my Level One I felt lucky to be alive after taking the class. 6 years after my level one I took a level 2 and actually felt I learned A LOT more. I think actual time on snow and with safe competent people is the most benificial training.
The reality is that you can ski steep slopes, and you can ski during storms, BUT there has to be the right ingredients in place for it to happen safely. Level One does not teach that at all, it teaches a flow chart of what makes an avalanche and leaves the impression that BC is a dangerous game unless you ALWAYS avoid avalanche terrain.

Either way good luck, hope for a great winter!
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #24
Outdoor Retail
You might want to check out the new marker Duke AT bindings. They are bomber strong and about the closest thing to an alpine binding out there. Should start hitting shelves about now (ours aren't here yet - should be any day now).
Alpine Sports Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #25
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Need I say more...
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #26
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Just noticed a cheap splitboard on CL:

Snowboard, Voile Split Decision 178cm
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #27
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
Just noticed a cheap splitboard on CL:

Snowboard, Voile Split Decision 178cm

If this is in good shape and you have the cash for a strictly soft snow splitboard, I'd snag this one. I have the 195 swallowtail and when it's truly bottomless there's nothing better. I don't know if Voile's even making these anymore because it's too cool for the dorky backcountry skier/snowboarder market.
rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #28
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I went with the split...

Ordered a Prior Khyber 165 today, as much as I love fall I can't wait for the snow to fall!!! I definately passed on the Volle add to a friend though, it might be just what he's looking for! Thanks again for all the great input, I hope to run into you all at some point or another in the woods or on the river!
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #29
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
You'll love the prior, they make a superior board. In a year you'll be looking for a 170+ though!

and remember, Friends don't let friends ride Burton splitboards!

Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote