Old 09-05-2007   #11
Whitefish, Montana
So I would agree with the feedback from all the AT'ers out there but have to represent the Tele crowd and say that I have not had a bad day either touring or skiing both in luscious powder or busting a thick crust where you clinch your butt cheeks so hard that they hurt for three days.

In the end I would go with what you enjoy most. The technology out there is equal across the board these days no matter what your preference (This is my opinion only)

Splitboards certainly will slow you down when all of your buddies are waiting for you up the trail, plus moving from place to place without necessarily having to take the time to switch out from riding to hiking is nicer on skis. But I have never been on a snowboard, nor do I think I will ever try, this is only an observation. The boarders I ride with bring snow shoes or ski when the days are going to be longer. If you are riding Berthoud, then you could get by with just a board and bootpack.

Skis, either or based on preference. Teles are nice just because they rock and touring is a cinch, but AT is pretty much the same.

most important is riding what you like.....or like one all three and never ski inbounds again.

purpleyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
naxo vs fritschi

Its your choice what to ride but if you go AT get the Fritsch's. Im a big guy 6'3 210 and when touring on soft snow with 0' angle the flex of the ski makes the binding catch. It doesn't happen that often but is a pain in the ass. The Fritsch are designed different and don't have that problem. I think both brands are bomber. The naxo probable tour better under normal conditions with the 2 pivot points.

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #13
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Randonnee=French for Can't Tele.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I dunno. whichever you like. At and Tele are comparable, and I've met some boarders that can kick like a skate board and keep up with either without any compromise. It's all a matter of style. I tele cause it made skiing fun again, after skiing since a little kid, and just like making the turn, and I can hike easy like. But I got mad respect for snowboarders who can kick, and most AT/Alpine people seem to be more aerial agressive, so I got props for them too. Scared of extreme air, I'll tele cause ILIKETOHIKE. HA
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for all of the great replies

Thanks all for chiming in and the good sugestions and opinions, I'm still leaning toward the split, but I have to go check out some other setups and try on some boots I guess... I predict that winter is going to come early and hard, I can't wait, the water is almost gone!
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #16
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
AT, Tele, Split.....

Well in Colorado there is an endless variety of choices. I have skied my whole life, went the tele route for a while and went back to AT. I have only snoboardeded a few times and was never good enough to even think about powder. However many of my friends have splitboards.

Tele -- Good for touring, and if you have the skills excellent for skiing, however it seems like I always feel safer in tight icy chutes with a fixed heel. Also think about snow pack stress, if you cant cut it on teles do you really want to take a face plant and dig your selfout in a less than desirable snowpack(Like most of colorado)?

AT -- My favorite. I own Naxos and Freerides. I like my Naxos better as i have found the toe release is much better than Fritchis. I cant really say one tours better, the Naxo's double pivot kicks ass for flatter terrain, but seems no different than Fritchis after you start using the big climbing bar. Actually the Fritchis may be better at the high setting. I eventually ended up breaking the cocking lever on my Naxos, but it was my fault, I stomped on it when it was close to -25F, most plastics are weaker at this temp. I personally think that the Naxo is a stronger safer binding, but Fritchis is by no means bad or unsafe.
There are new Marker AT binders. I have yet to see one, but word is they are BOMBER(Salomon users flame away..). But the Marker is HEAVY and not something you want to tour with unless you find yourself hucking 50 feet onto hardpack.
As far as AT binding go, I have the large sizes, which means they have a high DIN (on NAXO at least). But if you have smaller feet odds are you are shorter, weigh less, etc. and have less need for a high DIN

Splitboard -- With a short fat ski underfoot, these things climb like a machine. even better if you are breaking trail for skiers they lay down a highway. Unfortunately I have spent many a minutes on a frigid windy ridge as friends try to chip away ice and fiddle with the setup with frozen hands. If you can ski they can be lightly skied in that flats for gentler tours. However, every 5 minutes you F*** with your splitboard is 5 minutes towards your naxt lap. One downfall is you are in snowboard boots, they dont lend well to crampons or kicking steps. Also not having releasable bindings is not the best idea for Avi terrain.

Slowshoes -- Give me a break. I am actually all for slowshoes, users get so worn out they usually only make one or two laps. If you get Snowshoes, DONT WRECK THE SKIN TRACK. You will get yelled at, maybe worse. However shoes with good cleats do well in early AM spring conditions... Most snowshoers I see in also dont have beacons or probes, just a giant plastic shovel for building a "wicked, huge, narly kicker" which also seems to be invariably located in a slope starting zone aboce a terrain trap. Snowshoes may be a tool of social Darwinsim.

Better yet move to Utah or the Sierras where many people blindly bootpack in the footsteps of those before them.

Good luck, any thing that gets you to the top of a snowy peak is A-Ok
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #17
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Seems like they all have their advantages depending on what type of snow, terrain, and touring you like to do. I ski freeheel gear because I like being able to basically have the same set up for resort skiing as non-resort skiing. I have friends who love the Dynafit stuff because it's lighter than anything else, but they all weigh under 200 pounds and don't ski super aggressively. I also know folks that love the Fritshci and Naxos and others that hate them. One common complaint is that they are too high off the ski. The biggest drawback I see to AT gear is the lack of an aggressive boot. Even the Garmont G-Rides and Adrenalines are toned-down versions of Alpine boots, so if you cant stand soft boots, you might want to opt for a T-Race or similar tele boot. Just make sure you get a boot with tour-mode as Scarpa stopped including that in the newer T-races. One other thing, despite what anyone says, you don't have to drop your knee when skiing on telemark gear. In fact, I think paralleling on tele gear in powder is more fun than on alpine gear. If you are only interested in skiing soft snow, a split board might be the answer. They're the shit for breaking trail in deep snow and as long as you get the conversion down you can keep up with your skier buddies within reason. If you're light on your skis(and bindings) you can ski them and have fun skiing them too. There are people who ski split boards as much as snowboard on them.
rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #18
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Originally Posted by purpleyak View Post
Splitboards certainly will slow you down when all of your buddies are waiting for you up the trail.
you can keep up with your skier buddies within reason
Sooo, why is this? It just happens? What people are saying is I cant be standing on top of a ridge while I watch my at/tele friends show up after me cause I'm wearin a splitboard?? Cause it happens. Come on, it's not whats on your feet it's the individual. They're only as slow as the person using them, like anything.

Again, the transition becomes second nature and should take less than two minutes. I doubt your skier friends will have already pointed it downhill and started another lap in that time. Dont buy that shit.

Regarding the boots like dgosn was sayin. You wont be goin with your typical resort soft boots. You can still use soft boots but they do lack in the kickstep department. And there are crampons out there that fit soft boots. Light and Rigid boots are a good idea. Like the Salomon Malamutes........which I happen to have a brand new size 12 pair for sale, if your interested......Better yet, if you drop the cash, hard boots are obviously excellent for climbing/mountaineering and ascending. I have a few friends that rock those and with the cants under your baseplate you dont have to have that lame hard boot style, you'll keep the soft boot snowboard steez.

Look into the malamutes, they're pretty much the standard soft boot for alot of people. And if your around a size 12 i got a deal for ya. They're just too small for me.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
I have to represent the tele crowd also and say that you should tele, although do whatever makes you happy.

Peak as far as forums go for BC skiing in CO is a site equal to mountain buzz but for BC skiing.
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #20
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
I'll clarify "within reason": your skier friends aren't doing little half-lap farmer runs where you have to convert 50 times a day or skiing somewhere that involves skinless traversing and side-stepping. I ski with split boarders who are ready go downhill faster than most skiers. Step-ins and/or mountaineering boot type bindings make the split board conversion quite a bit faster.

rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote