Old 03-18-2011   #11
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Intuition liners and booster straps! Also you could just get used to reduced performance will eventually adapt your skiing if you keep using the AT with everything else there are always trade offs. I would love an AT boot that felt like my alpines.

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #12
As others have suggested:

Boosters, all ski boots should have em for a couple reasons, nrs straps cost 10 times less and don't break.

Intuition liners can stiffen them up and make them warmer

Forward lean: put some foam behind your calf. BUT a more upright stance walks and skins easier. So its a trade off.

As someone who skis in race boots for half the year and in radiums for the other half I'ld suggest: its spring, toss the alpines in the closet and ski in the technicas full time. BC, bumps everything. The upright stance and softer flex will be weird for a day or two but you'll get used to it (mostly, now and then you'll f*ck up and wish they more more supportive). Anytime I switch between boots the others feel weird. If I'm used to my alpines the ATs feel strange. If I'm used to my ATs my alpines are weird as hell. Other big things is to ski your AT's in bounds. If you only ski them one run at a time in the BC you'll never get used to them. Ski the piss out of em in bounds (preferably with your BC skis) until they make sense. They'll never be quite as good as a real boot but they're good enough. Ski in good form too. Most AT boots are decent if you're skiing well but collapse if you lean back hard. If you tend to lean against your back cuff AT boots are going to be a challenge. The sames happens to a lessor extent if you lean forward to hard (ie soft boot). Practice skiing with your boots loose.

Mainly accept they're not quite as nice as real boots and ski in them alot.

mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #13
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
This is great advice. I have been using them inbounds and skiing everything. After a couple of days i now feel more comfortable. I feel i am working on my form. I think after so long I think i became complacent Not thinking about form. these boots have made me evaluate all aspects of my skiing. I am starting to feel better about the boots. I am however strapping the shit out of them to make them tighter. But its working. Thanks guys Shawn

caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote