Old 04-23-2013   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
"The question I have is do you think runoff is slower in a slide area than where it would normally stay exposed over a larger area?"

I was wondering this while ski patrol dropped bombs at Loveland today.

Must depend on the aspect of the deposition, but it has to slow it down.

11 more inches of snow for the clear creek headwaters.

Damn good up there today; pegged it somewhere between the top 3 and top 7 for the year for me. Felt like full on winter up there.

Vibes to all who lost loved ones in the recent slides.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #12
Red Beard
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
This is total BS - avalanches have killed skiers/boarders on Loveland Pass for decades that I can remember. Any slope that's steep enough to be challenging, deep enough to ski, and long enough to get more than a couple of turns on is steep enough, deep enough, and big enough to kill you.
As I said - I'm smart enough to know better than to believe what 'they' say. I think the people that say loveland is 'safe' are trying to rationalize their own decisions to do dumb things.

Tindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #13
The full CAIC accident report is out. It's pretty comprehensive.

I note a few things:
  • Slope Angle: 41
  • A shallow snowpack in November and December of 2012 and cool temperatures formed a pronounced weak layer of depth hoar. This was the slide surface.
  • The party recognized the danger and spread out to get to a safe zone, but the slide was so large, it engulfed them all. Three of the people reached a small clump of trees which they thought was safe. The slide didn't take the trees out, just the people next to them.
Depth hoar is where cold air tempertures weakens the deep layers. They act "like ball bearings under a giant slab of snow". Commonly propagates long distances, around corners and easily triggered from the bottom--your basic nightmare. Percolating melt water in spring often re-activates large-grained depth hoar. See Depth Hoar

basil is offline   Reply With Quote