Old 09-11-2011   #1
80523, Confusion
take off your wedding rings..

just a reminder for people to take off their rings when they paddle... a student lost one in my class this morning, which brings my total student wedding ring loss to 2 in 3 classes.

hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've got a special place in my PFD pocket where I attach it. I figure if I lose my PFD on the river, I've got bigger problems than a lost wedding ring...

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #3
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
my wife lost the Diamond from her ring at warm springs. Was a real bummer.
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #4
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
I always take mine off when boating for two reasons - 1 Don't want to lose it and 2 It could be a hazard to my hand. I know it's a long shot but I'd hate to get it stuck on rocks, wood or whatever while being hauled downstream or while doing rope work. Stems from the fact my Dad almost lost his finger when he was putting a tarp on a big trailer, slipped and got caught by his wedding ring. He doesn't wear one at all anymore!

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I never wear mine paddling or climbing. A climbing buddy of mine climbs so frequently that he never wore his ring, so he got a ring tattoo.
ryguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #6
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I just made sure there's no deductible on the rings with my insurance. If my lady or I lose one, we can just call our friend the jeweler and a new one is on the way for the low cost of shipping. This benefit costs under $1 a month with our property insurance. Of course, you lose the original ring you're not technically married anymore....

I plan to just wear it and see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't end up at the bottom of the river or inside a stripper....
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #7
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Let me jump in and say that it's not just the ring you can lose, it's your finger or even potentially hand damage. I got a tiny sliver before a MF Salmon trip in May, no big deal it happens all the time. We ended up having to portage 10 boats around Dagger Falls because of trees, and I think that helped inflame it a bit. The next morning I woke up and my ring finger was quite swollen and I couldn't get it off (even the dental floss trick probably wouldn't have worked). Fortunately we have a doctor friend on the trip, and he started me on double dose antibiotics also (cephalexin). He was really concerned, and talked about monitoring it for removing it and/or flying out. The next morning at Sheepeater it was extremely painful and swollen, clearly it was not improving fast enough. All I wanted was that damn tourniquet of a ring off. It was scary, only one person had a diamond file on a knife that would work to remove it. If they hadn't had that I would have been in trouble, definitely flying out at Indian. After a painful half hour the doc had filed it off, and my finger was free, but not out of the woods yet. Later that day at Indian it had stabilized, and we discussed downstream airstrips that could be used in case it did not dramatically improve. He was really worried about the infection going into the hand and doing major tendon damage.

All worked out, I was able to finish the trip (quite sick from the antibiotics though, it wasn't a fun trip) my ring is fixed so you can hardly tell. I now carry a ring cutter in my first aid kit and replenished my cephalexin stash. I do not wear a ring anymore at all when I leave to recreate. I wouldn't mind not wearing it at all, but that feels weird.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #8
Rainy Northwest, Washington

I have permanently damaged the tendon on my ring finger by wearing a ring while kayaking. Apparently sometimes I gripped the paddle so hard that the ring damaged the tendon sheath.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #9
Eastern Slope, Colorado
lhowemt, you have inspired me to buy a ring cutter for my first aid kit. I'm still going to wear mine because I know I'll lose it if I don't. You also provide a good case for an assortment of antibiotics in the med kit as well as tongue depressors and finger splints.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #10
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah, after she posted that when it happened this spring i scrounged one up for the med box. Kind of breaks my main rule of having items that perform multiple tasks, but i think its worth it.

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote