Mountain Buzz banner

Stolen Gear

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  villagelightsmith 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Just wanted to post a heads up about being careful about how you handle potentially stolen gear. I just posted my boat for sale, and someone whose girlfriend had the same make and model boat stolen recently got very aggressive with me to the point where I had to call the police because I felt so threatened. I took time off work to meet with the policeman who was incredibly helpful and got everything sorted out, but this was more than just an inconvenience for me.

I won't call the people out by name on here, because I do have some understanding for why they made the mistake. But the guy was so nasty on the phone even after I told him I could easily prove with photos, people, ID number etc that the boat was mine. Anyway, I love the river community, I love that we return gear to each other when we find it on the river, and I know that most of you would never act like this, but I thought it was an interesting situation to let people know about.

SYOTR~

#3 ·
In general it's a good idea to keep a spreadsheet with the make, model, cost and serial number of your valuable goods. For items that don't have a serial number, and even those that do, make note of any features that would allow you to easily distinguish your item from someone else's. Modifications, stickers or markings, and damage to a particular area are all good to keep track of. This information is important when making a police or insurance report, and even more crucial if you think you've found something stolen from you and you want to get it back. For electronics and other widely available items, the serial number is essential. Serial numbers are also the best way for pawn shops to inventory items, and they are required by law to hold anything that comes in with a hit on a stolen serial number. Particularly if you want help from the police if you see something on Craigslist, or even if you choose to handle it yourself, being able to point out distinguishing features in the posted photos is critical because the seller may not be inclined to give you the serial number, or may get suspicious and bail if you ask for it before meeting. It's a pain starting the list from scratch, but once you have it rolling it's quick and easy to add new purchases. Always make a stolen property report, even if it doesn't seem like anything can be done. It gives you a lot more credibility if you've already made a report, versus all of a sudden seeing something you think is yours when you haven't reported it stolen yet.
Also keep in mind that the seller may be unwitting. Especially if there's been a passage of time since the item was stolen, the seller may have bought it elsewhere and believe it is legitimately theirs to sell. It's also important to keep safety in mind when meeting up. Shit bags who steal your stuff clearly don't value the time, effort, and money it cost you, so they're probably less inclined to value your life and safety as well. Similarly, in this case if the OP met with the buyer and was confronted with threats or worse, he would have a legitimate right to defend his own property. That sort of thing can escalate pretty quickly on both sides when you don't know who you're dealing with and what they're about. By all means go get your hard earned property back from the turds that stole it, just be careful out there.

#4 ·
For every couple thousand dollars worth of gear stolen, one must earn perhaps $5000 to replace it. We have living expenses, too. If we are in business, that means we must generate perhaps $50,000 in sales to throw off that coupler of thousand of personal discretionary income. If a thief sells stolen gear, it still belongs to the one from whom it was stolen, IMHO. No matter how many hands it passes through, legal and moral title to the gear isn't cleared. If a boat is fenced at 5 cents on the dollar to buy some blow, a good portion of my life is spent replacing that stuff. If my time, labor, and wages are taken, that is tantamount to a period of slavery, wasted to the thief just so (s)he can snort or shoot the poison and waste his Life for a few hours. Others may find this view a little extreme. But for those of us who have experienced significant loss to theft, whether in the back alley, boardroom, or by the brother-in-law, the anger never quite goes away. The second thief is all alone in the world.

#5 ·
Agreed. I wasn't trying to imply that an unwitting seller with previously stolen gear should get to keep it, just pointing out that they may (mistakenly) believe it is rightfully theirs. If you're able to establish that what they have belongs to you, then unfortunately they become a victim as well because now they are also out the goods and the money paid for them.
I'm a firm believer that time is the only true currency. When someone steals your stuff or your money, what they are really stealing is your time-the time you spent away from your family or not otherwise enjoying your life because you were working to make the money and buy the stuff. This is unacceptable. Time is finite, and people who greedily snatch it away from others are scum who deserved to be treated as such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.