Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Lost & Found

Old 07-24-2011   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: reid
red Diesel 75 taken out of Clear Creek on 7/22

A few weeks ago I took a swim below elbow falls in lower clear creek and my red wave sport diesel 75 ended up pinned in screaming 1/4 mile. it was there for the last two weeks and I kept going back and checking in on it. On Friday, we were headed up to run lower clear creek in the afternoon and stopped to check on the boat, which was still there. we parked a vehicle next to the boat (on the road there was police caution tape next to where the boat was pinned). Our plan was to run the river, pull out by the pinned boat and z drag it out. We headed up, ran the river and then when we got back to where the boat had been, someone had pulled it out in the time it took us to run the river.

If anyone on here pulled it out or knows who did, please let me know as I would like it back. Odd river etiquette. Asked SAR and the fire dept and they say they did not pull it out, but someone who knew how to extract a boat did....

Please shoot me an email at reidhresko@hotmail.com if you know anything. thanks!

reidhresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #2
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
First off sorry you lost your boat, but to assume someone took it and had bad river etiquette is not fair. First off clear creek is coming down so the boat may have finally moved on its own. Second you say in your post it was there a few weeks, after a few days salvage laws come into effect. Furthermore having a boat in the river is a hazard to other river runners so someone might have just moved it for the safety of all of us, and they deserve the boat if they took the risk to get it out. Finally if you wanted your boat so bad you should have gotten it out before running the river, not after, that is simple river etiquette. If someone does return your boat you owe them a massive beer fine, somewhere in the range of 2 good kegs.

wamskayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Chances are, after two weeks of being pinned on a rock during an epic surging runoff, at least one hole on that boat has been ground through the hull. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a recycler at this point. Hope not, for your sake.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
Sorry to break it to you, but that wasn't your boat. That was a red Mamba which pinned about a month ago, I know this for a fact as I was on the trip when it pinned. It's been underwater, so I can see how you would've thought it was yours.

As to the comments about why the boat wasn't removed, you have no idea what you're talking about. The boat was not a danger to paddlers or swimmers, and unpinning it at high flows would have involved some danger to the participants. The decision to wait until flows dropped was definitely the right one. Also, just because it's been there for a while doesn't make it up for grabs to whoever wants it.

Good luck finding your boat, have you checked below the dam?
Scott Andrews
(nine seven eight)-46O-3347
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #5
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Man you know its been high water when people are losing boats so often that this post could occur
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #6
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Not sure if and when marine salvage laws apply to kayaks on rivers, but I know simply accepting a tow in a dire situation on lakes or oceans gives the tower some claim to the vessel if no arrangement to the contrary is set up in advance.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
I don't care what the law says - if my boat gets pinned and you remove it, I'll give you some beer but it's still my boat.
Scott Andrews
(nine seven eight)-46O-3347
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #8
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Publications - Wright, Constable & Skeen, LLP - Attorneys at Law in Baltimore, Maryland
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #9
Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2010
I removed a pinned canoe from the hooch here in Atlanta, which happens to be federal land. My buddy took it home and we put lost and found ads out on a couple different sites and after 3 weeks he put it on Craigslist.... He tried selling it to get rid of it and got stung by the POS rangers that had been combing the Internet looking for the boat for the lazy ass boat owners that left it in the rapids. He got cited for misappropriation of property and I even got pulled into it for the lost and found ads being under my account and email. Here is what I learned... We all have a fiduciary obligation to do everything in our power to return the boat to the owner, using clues, names, addresses, boat identification numbers, anything!! We should have just left it at the take out, but we weren't aware of the laws and what not and ended up paying thousands of dollars in lawyer fees to get our names cleared.
So if you ever come across a boat, paddle, oar, piece of chewing gum. On the river, Just leave it!!! Such a pain in the ass.
RiverSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #10
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
......Schutzie gets his popcorn and beer and finds a comfortable seat. He wonders, as he waits for the real show to start...........
1) Name etc. in/on the boat or contents?
2) Two weeks; he wonders, were the authorities notified at the time?
3) Was the pin location reported on any web sites, like da Buzz?

He wonders if the boat was rescued, or if it did a self rescue? If it did a self rescue, perhaps it has again become stuck and still requires a rescue.

Schutzie loves a good mystery, he can hardly wait to see how this one turns out.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote