Old 03-18-2016   #11
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
You guys are making me rethink my tent choice for next week...
This is a serious concern this time of year in that area. I recommend a good solid tent, nice 3 season or 4 season with extra guy lines. Not only stake the floor/bottom but also use your accessory guy out lines on the sides/front.

Not a joke or over estimate of the situation, be prepared for literally every kind of weather to occur in a single day, I have been on the Owyhee in March and had sun, snow, dime sized hail, rain, 50 mph wind, and back to sun (almost shirt sleeve weather) in a single day.

The wind can be so sever on the water that progress downstream is near impossible. Also the wind can be so bad you can't hardly maneuver side to side to get through obstacles/Rapids. Best advice is to pull over and wait till latter. When it is launch time at Rome, if there is strong upstream wind before you set out, wait till latter Best to leave from Rome directly in the morning, not late morning or mid day.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Dang, OK, well then I will bring my better designed/built (and bigger) tent. Thanks

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #13
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
On a Deso trip, a steel framed shelter, tied to a very heavy ice chest, was dragged 50 yards by strong winds.

I now place a "line of safety" over tents and shelters.

Use a sturdy piece of rope, long enough to go over the tent, loop once over the top intersection of poles and reaches the ground; make loops at the end of each end for stakes or a deadman. Tips: run the line of safety opposite of your door(s) and do this before attaching rain fly.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #14
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Didn't see your tent, but didn't get much chance to stop either. We fought some pretty bad winds so either we were rowing in the wind, or rowing in the calm to avoid the wind, and didn't stop to look around. Sorry!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #15
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I've only done that trip once, I'm hoping to God it will be running late May this year. I was 14 the last time, we camped at Rome. By morning, every tent but my little one man dome was busted and flat.
We put in too many miles the first day and found a very small box canyon with a water hole in it to camp at. The wind howled again, but the canyon protected us. The next two days we camped at a really nice spot on a flat, and got to watch a really cool thunderstorm come right over the top of us. It was violent and beautiful. We learned our lesson about wind on that trip, haven't forgotten it yet.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote