Old 03-04-2012   #1
Denver, Colorado
Lost ski on Berthoud

.. So I lost a ski off Berthoud pass today. It was down Lift Gully and could be buried near the top.

It's a 09/10 Volkl Gotama w/ a brand spankin new Dynafit Radical FT12. Would be super stoked to be reconnected with it.

Another skier suggested I ask you guys.

Bookman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #2
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Not sure where your ski is? Go back with probes and a metal detector. I know from experience that if you wait until freeze/thaw cycles, you will be dissipointed from the damage. I will help if you can point me to the exact location. Your problem could be solved by trading those bindings for a pair of Dukes...If you mount flyfishing reels (spurs) to the back of your ski boots you will have an effective leash system for your lightweight ejection binders.

~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #3
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
as above

rent a metal detector and snow shoe it in.

the metal detector has saved me twice before.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #4
Denver, Colorado
Giving it a go tomorrow morning, metal detector and all. Then stopping at a fly fishing store...

Brian - if your up for a last minute dawn patrol, I'll be out there.
Old 03-05-2012   #5
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Make certain that the metal detection device has a range deeper than six inches... With the low snow pack, an inferior detector will probably find what you are looking for. A large magnet will find the ski if all else fails; you can cast the magnet and go fishing with your new reel.
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #6
Denver, Colorado
Success!!! Found it on dawn patrol today. Dug for a few hours w/ no luck. Then on my way out I spotted the tail sticking barely an inch above the snow. (FCK YES!)

The metal detector would only reach about 4" down, but it boosted the confidence a bit when I was deciding where to dig in a massive sea of white.
Old 03-06-2012   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Glad you found it. Might consider powder leashes in the future.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #8
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thats funny man. I saw a vid Bob posted of some dude doing some stuff I certainly cant do and most of the skiing world cant either, on dem der "ejection binders". I used the Dukes for a while, but I like to tour more and went to the Dynafits. Havent had a release yet. I will say the Dukes ski awesome and if I skied more inbounds, they are what I would be riding on.

Glad you found your ski man, that would have me in a panic. Maybe try some powder cords. I have never used them, but I think people who have/do would say about 8' of surveyors tape, tie it to your binder and tuck the rest up in the ankle of your pants. Even on something skied as often as Lift Gully or the Plunge, I steer clear of leashes, as they could make your ski like an anchor in a slide, but that is just my overly paranoid, scared of a slide mentality. I know, I know, they would most likely break in the force of a slide, but I wouldnt count on it. Or just dont wreck! HEHEHEHE. My old leg fx aches with karma just for lipping off.

Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote