Old 06-20-2014   #21
Golden, Colorado
Surprisingly, the outfitting did remarkably well. I lost one float bag but the other was still inside. I wear all my rescue gear, so there was nothing else to loose. I haven't done a full inventory of the outfitting but it looks like it is all there, just shifted around. One rivet holding the seat cushion on was ripped out. Some minicell that was under the seat may be gone.

According to Google Maps the boat went 18 miles. I rode the entire stretch on my bike the next day (including through Coors before getting kicked out by security) and the boat went through some heavy $#!+ including Rigor, SQM, the dam, some seriously ugly low-head dams on Coors property and in Wheatridge, and some strainer filled junky rapids below Coors. There is no way an unmanned boat is going to survive that journey.

We chased the boat for a while before it disappeared into Coors. It was already dark. With respect to Dave's observation, the problem is not having equal flotation front and rear. The rear end would come up and the front end sucked down. Then the front would get pummeled on a rock and the boat violently flipped. I'm not sure if there is a way to correct that since the difference in volume between the stern and bow is so large. Certainly some rodeo float bags in the front might help if you're able to get your boat out relatively quickly. I like the idea of inflating some inner tubes in there.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #22
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Boat is at dam takeout. Surprisingly good shape. Needs a small weld in the side. Come pick up your shit.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nice work whoever the three guys were that pulled this boat out. Looked like a difficult extraction and apparently the didn't even know the owner.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hopefully the owner got this, as it is no longer at the dam take out.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #25
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I if it is a large pyrahnah burn, i rescued it. it was pinned on an undercut on the river right side right above the diversion dam. it was in a super nasty place so i couldnt get it the first day. the second day (yesterday) my friends and i had nothing to do so we decided to give er another go. we repeled down from above it and managed to get a line on it and pull it out. the boat was pretty beat. there was a huge dent above the knee brace and holes everywhere. there was no name in the boat so i left it leaning on the gaurd rail above the diversion dam. hope this helps!

trentm is offline   Reply With Quote