Old 06-29-2015   #31
Paddling Since: 1994
I often agree with ol schutzie but in this case i think he's a little off. Honestly, considering the buzz in general I dont think anyone has gotten that much of an ego pump, just offered some good advice. I certainly expected more after watching.

pearen has some great advice to give and didn't attack or degrade hitchek at all. pearen was actually real sweet to inform hitchek and the buzz in general about some avoidable blunders that certainly helped lead to a FUBAR run. I was thinking all the things pearen mentioned when I was watching the video.

I have run the gorge high. Didnt run it at 6k this year, but have at 5k and a for a successful (not survived but successful) run, a good crew, solid rigging, constant attention, big and pushy rowing and self rescue skills are required. I consider the gorge, especially at 6k a very serious FAST run and should be treated as such with all the aforementioned things in mind which did not seem apparent in the video. Things could have easily gone much worse in that situation.

Again, as pearen said, only judging from what I saw in the video, for hitchek to get out of there unscathed and with just a lost oar, a popped tube and presumably stained but rinsed out undies is something he'll hopefully be thanking the river gods for, not just looking back on. I know I would be.

Hitchek, thanks for letting that video out so the buzz can learn from it. Let me know if you need a hand fixing that rip. Good work pulling it together, adjusting that tube and rowing out of there. Lots of people would have walked down the tracks where the video ends.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #32
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
By now all the super duper never made a bad run bad assed boaters have gotten their ego pump with their criticisms of your run, your rig and your skills.
Yeah, you need to do something about how you carry your spare oars, and yeah you needed to square up to the waves.
But all the same, you ran the Gorge at better than 5,000 CFS and didn't do more than tear up some equipment. I mean, you didn't have to be rescued by the SWR forces, right? No Doctor visits after? Clean undies available after?
In my book, a worthy effort, and one you can recall fondly next January sitting in front of the fire.

I can tell you, I ran probably the first Cat run through the Gorge in 1975 with Doc Baker (he who probably invented the Cat), my wife, and a couple of buddies.
We flipped
We crashed
We bounced off stuff we should have missed
We ate Brownies with bits of wood in them. (long story for another time)
Combined experience on the boat that day, probably over 30 years.

Water as goofy as in the Gorge will always provide an exciting day. Water as goofy as in the Gorge adds an element of chance (and pucker factor) to the day. Those who run it successfully think they are Gods. Those who survive the run wonder what their mommas would say if they saw that. But all who run it need to remember; we are not Gods but the river God's playthings. On good days we have a lot of fun. On bad days the river God gets the last laugh.
Very enjoyable to read and so much truth. Thank you.

I am thankful the video was posted and personally do not mean any negaitve criticism, but think it is a really healthy exercise to look at it and see what went right, what went wrong and try to learn something from it.

Having video is an awesome part of boating now.

bgoogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #33
Gunnison Country, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
That was fu*cked. During the scout the only thing I could think of was the steal birds nest... Glad you're alright. It's probably hard to row a cat with such big Balls.

Battlepig is offline   Reply With Quote