Lost Oar Rig San Miguel - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-28-2016   #81

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This thread may just get us through til spring boating. Don't poison the vine!

formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #82

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
You didn't read the article did you?

No I didn't read it.
I don't value the making up of words actually.
The use of a complete vocabulary, yes.
Or quality over quantity per John Milton.
Shakespeare didn't have a superhuman ability to form words. They just had a need to fit verse.
Time will tell on Hip Hop language influence so I shouldn't be dismissive.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #83

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
How can you have a commentary on it if you didn't even read the first paragraph of the link?

I'm no big fan of Hip Hop....but its sort of the equivalent of Shakespeare in the modern age. I can't say every Hip Hop/Rapper out there is that way by a long shot, but there are many that have quite the way with words. For the really good ones, they don't need to make up words. Even the ones that do make up words, it still only makes up a small percentage of the ones they actually use.

The Broadway hit Hamilton is a great example of Hip Hop with substance and artistry and there is a whole sector of the genre that takes a similar route. Its as much spoken word and poetry as it is music.

At the end of the article it mentions that many of the most successful rap stars like Jay Z, Snoop Dog, and Kanye West may have a more robust vocabulary then their songs show but have been quoted as saying that using that vocabulary in their songs does not translate to popular or financial success so they choose not to do it.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #84

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
How can you have a commentary on it if you didn't even read the first paragraph of the link?
I looked over the graph linked.

It showed a comparison.

It failed to even mention the largest contributor to English. John Milton.
That being determined by words that actually made it into our lexicon. Milton was something over 500 I recall.

I moved on.

==========

I do acknowledge that Shakespeare and Milton both plagiarized heavily. It was not just common but openly tolerated at that time. This brings just how many words each may have 'created' into question.
Not the case for modern artists who are at least fairly limited by copyright.

I couldn't read Paradise Lost, even though Milton was a distant family relative, nor can I enjoy Rap, no known relatives there. But I'll still go with Milton needing mention in an article of that nature to get my wandering time.

Shakespeare and Rap are both very political vehicles. True.

=======

Hamilton is in a different league.
Again, quality vs quantity.

Forgive me, but what new words were created by the play Hamilton?
Old 09-28-2016   #85

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
You were talking originally about vocabulary, which is a different discussion to how many words a specific person created themselves. I've never read any Milton so I can't say on his, but if there is an art form that most approximates Shakespeare in the current timeframe then it is certainly Hip Hop....or at least the "high brow" version of it as seen in Hamilton and the more "wordy" Hip Hop artists. I'd have to really look at a libretto to be sure, but I suspect very few words were created while writing it. Plenty of words used well though.

For what its worth, they do include Herman Melville in that vocabulary analysis and found that 6022 unique words were used in the first 35,000 of Moby Dick. When they say "unique", in this application they don't mean words created but that they are only counting each word the first time it is used.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #86

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
You were talking originally about vocabulary, ................
As a means to illustrate the possibility that multiple authors of the SM Epic could be possible. Especially owing to their gaps in submissions.

We could have undertaken a finding of other authors at the time of Shakespeare who may have written some or parts of plays by Shakespeare. Except that we know of the unprincipled plagiarism problem.

The story telling on the SM Epic may be available eventually to an analysis.

If the author(s) observe the literary mandate: Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Then we may find stories being terrifically embellished in a simple google search.

Without more fodder pandemonium awaits.

======

Brief quiz:
Which four words in this post were Fo Sho 'coined' by John Milton?
Old 09-28-2016   #87

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
While y'all await the next chapter of the SM saga, pick up a copy of 'The Professor and the Madman' by Simon Winchester. It describes the editor of the OED, Professor Murray, and his relationship with the most prolific contributor of new words to the OED as it was being compiled in the late 19th century, Dr. Minor. By the book's account, Dr. Minor blows everyone listed in this thread away as far as the number of words he contributed to that tome, and it's not even close. No spoilers here as there are several twists in the fascinating story.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #88

This guys shit show is better than another groover or grand side hikes thread.

OP...... Before you ate shit did you drain your cooler ?
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #89

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
This guys shit show is better than another groover or grand side hikes thread.

OP...... Before you ate shit did you drain your cooler ?
No kidding. I'm waiting for the part where Grif walks over from the resort in his Speedo and offers to throw them a turkey leg!
Old 09-28-2016   #90

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeah, did he mention if his girlfriend had a whistle?
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote