Lost Oar Rig San Miguel - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2016   #11

Telluride, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I ran the Miguel from Deep Creek to the confluence last year. 89 miles. I would guess you boat is stuck in a low head dam above the power plant. Have you had anyone check that area? No one floats the Naturita section due to the fences the landowners have set. Nasty and dangerous obstacles along the way. When our small group came upon the low head we found a monster log stuck in the hydraulic. Ended up lining the boats through. Good luck!

Just curious...what oars are you running?

DirtyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016   #12

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Greetings Dirty Hands:

I have a list of names and numbers of ranchers and land owners above the power plant. I am in the process of contacting them. What would you guess the water level was when you made your run? Do you remember how far below the bridge, or any other identifying landmarks for that weir?

Having not been sighted at all in over a week suggests one of two likely remaining scenarios:
1) Hung up between Pinon Bridge and Power Plant.
2) Stolen.

The oars are 9' Ash Gulls, with pitex (sp?) wrap under stops. The tips were fiberglassed (old school). I pulled both oars (untethered) up onto the rock during the wrap. I cracked one trying to lever the boat off the rock/log. I jettisoned it. The other was left on the rock with some other gear I detached from the rig and presumably washed off during the night. There were two spares. They were tied for quick release, and so would not likely stay fast in a violent situation, or with repeated agitation such as one would expect in a head dam. One oar was spotted the next day hair pinned directly into the tip of a log jam a couple hundred yards below the incident site.

I expect soon I will return to the area with an IK and search that troubled, untravelled stretch myself.

Thanks for the info.
Wayward Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016   #13

Ridgway, Colorado
My guess; your boat never made it past Naturita. "Sotar what? That's just a big pile of money that we can turn into meth!"
Sorry but Naturita isn't known for being a kind hippy river town, not that there aren't good people there.
I'll send what I found tomorrow and good luck.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #14
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If your name wasn't on the boat it wasn't stolen, it was found.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #15

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
By that logic it's perfectly legal to pick up a bag of money that fell out of a Brinks truck and keep it. Ahh, not. Besides, that's complete and utter bullshit, and the wrong thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #16

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Wayward Boatman. I was with Dirty on the miguel float last year. The riverwide lowhead dam is very clearly visible if you follow google maps satellite imagery. We even extracted GPS cooridinates before we ran last year so we could be prepared when we came across it, like he said it's a very nasty dam that we lined our boats through. I definitley could see that thing hanging on to a raft for a very long time, it was probably around the same level when we ran it as you're describing now.

If you like i could track down the coordinates on my GPS, or you could grab them yourself using google earth. Like i said if you follow the river corridor on sattelite imagery it's pretty easy to spot.

Good Luck.
jlamb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #17

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks jlamb17. I've got it. I have studied the satellite imagery, especially from the power plant down, as sources had said that was the reach with the most boat-stopping riff-raff. My focus became the dam operated by the city of Naturita. Somehow, I had missed this particular one above. It indicates it is county land there on both sides. I'll be looking into who this belongs to, and who has legal access to it. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2016   #18

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Think about calling a local aviation company out of the local airport, probably Montrose, and see if they will take a detour over the river corridor and have a look. Will save you a whole lot of time and effort.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #19

Salt Lake City, Utah
Good suggestion BruceB. I will do that. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016   #20
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
By that logic it's perfectly legal to pick up a bag of money that fell out of a Brinks truck and keep it. Ahh, not. Besides, that's complete and utter bullshit, and the wrong thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
If you know it came from the Brinks truck you should return it. Most bean farmers don't read Mountain Buzz. Someone might have it and not know who is looking for it.

When I find gear on the river I call the owner if the name and number is on it. If not, I check the buzz. If not on L&F it's mine.

Good luck finding your boat. I didn't mean to imply anything other than without a label on the raft it's hard to call it "theft". A $2 sharpie can save thousands...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote