Lost Oar Rig San Miguel - Page 16 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-15-2016   #151

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
The victim shaming is ripe in this thread. Personally, I don't care if that rock is completely avoidable or if the story is real or not (still an epic read and let's hope we're not being rick rolled) but the man made a mistake and admitted to his errors and what happened happened.

I've seen my share of wraps and ejections on the river but I keep my judgements to myself and will always discuss what went wrong in the accident and why.

Here's a great read from teton gravity and I feel like the overall message transfers over to the whitewater community perfectly.

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sn...nche-survivors

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app

wickums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #152

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbseay View Post
Not sure how I could spam via font selection? But the edit is certainly your prerogative; I learned the trick on other boards as a way to mask tv show spoilers and speculation, of all things .
Joined in 2009, Could've sworn I'd posted here before, but maybe I was always just a lurker.

JB
Yeah, I suppose I could have just checked it out and left it, but I was in a hurry and we have had many, many spammers post some bad links in hidden text.... just being overly cautious.
Old 10-15-2016   #153

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
What are you calling BS on? He wrapped his raft on a rock. It happens, often in times in spots you would least expect it.
I agree, things happen. But did you look at the pics!? You couldn't wrap a rope around that rock. and considering that flow, and the width of the river to bank, that's a pretty easy swim. And if that was too tough, swim left, as that side is almost at a stand still. Not to f**cking mention...he's been boating since '79!!!!
Groover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #154

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groover69 View Post
that's a pretty easy swim...
Swimming in 40 degree spring run off in bank full current with no eddies is not easy.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #155
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
I agree, things happen. But did you look at the pics!? You couldn't wrap a rope around that rock. and considering that flow, and the width of the river to bank, that's a pretty easy swim. And if that was too tough, swim left, as that side is almost at a stand still. Not to f**cking mention...he's been boating since '79!!!!
Ohhhh how the righteous indignation of this one is setting up a cluster fuck of glorious magnitude.

Sometime, someplace when you least expect it The River will make sure that you know who is in charge. But after a full season of rafting I am sure you have all this shit figured out.

Until we catch up to you we are all in between swims. Just very recently I was able to put my 17 foot Maravia sideways through a 7 foot entry at Cove Creek on the Middle Fork. Everyone with me was shocked at the screwup first and that I actually deformed my boat enough to get it through.

Pretty funny actually that I cleaned the very challenging first couple of days and then a tiny little rock tap at the wrong time.....and Bam! Chest deep in water tugging on my boat.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #156

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Couldn't agree with Carvedog more. Most stories of carnage and suffering I've heard or been involved in myself were doing mundane things. Damn near almost killed myself on my mountain bike riding one of the easiest trails that I ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #157

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Groover,

Welcome to whitewater boating. Yeah, the photos make it all look pretty tame and easily avoidable, however, in addition to what the three posters after your comment said, here are a couple of things that you'll learn pretty soon: 1) Photos seldom show anything near the full extent of what the water's really doing, or the severity of the rapid pictured, or hydraulics beneath the water's surface, or what may happen at different flow levels. 2) If you weren't on that rock with him, observing the situation, and bringing a lot of experience as basis for your comments, there really shouldn't be much second-guessing. When I've seen appropriate "after action" critiques by folks that weren't directly involved, it's been from experienced boaters who were intimately familiar with the scene, or situation, of the event.

Be safe, rig to flip, dress to swim, be humble about the river, and give the folks who were actually there the benefit of the doubt.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #158

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Dear Groover69:

Not only have I been boating since 1979, I have logged an estimated 25,000+ river miles. ---Multiple runs on dozens of rivers, from the Arctic to Patagonia, including precisely 80 Grand Canyon trips (from rowing it at over 50,000 to motoring it in a 37’ S-rig at 3,000), 60, or so, Cat trips including a dozen, or so, runs over 70,000 (1 as high as 112,000), 40+ Deso trips, 40+ Westwater trips, 2 seasons on The Bío Bío, runs down The Fútaleufu, The Rio Figueroa, in Chile, as well as countless runs all over The West. Almost all of the trips I’ve run in the last twenty years have been single boat, two person trips ----including one such 30-day trip down Grand Canyon, and extended trips down The Dolores, The Salt, The Bruneau, The South Fork of the Owyhee, and all sections below. I’ve run rivers as small as The Escalante and as large as The Alsek. I’ve run in all kinds of craft: hard shell kayaks, IKs, dories, paddle boats, surplus ten-mans, various oar rigs, snout rigs, and 37’ S-rigs. I’ve lined rapids twice, and “ghost boated” some of the nasty ones on the Fu. I’ve flipped a raft twice (both in less than treacherous locations), and swam a couple times. Now, I’ve wrapped once on one mountain creek, The San Miguel, at very high water ---and lost pretty much all my gear.

I am trying to tell a story here for the benefit of all, and any, interested parties ---especially for “noobies” on The River such as yourself. Perhaps I’m a fool, and not qualified to tell the tale ---well, I aim to tell it anyway.

Kind regards,

Wayward Boatman
Wayward Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #159

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Boatman View Post
Dear Groover69:

....... ---and lost pretty much all my gear.........

Kind regards,

Wayward Boatman
Ah Ha.

Another part of the San Miguel Epic final chapter, I believe.
Sadly.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #160

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickums View Post
The victim shaming is ripe in this thread. Personally, I don't care if that rock is completely avoidable or if the story is real or not (still an epic read and let's hope we're not being rick rolled) but the man made a mistake and admitted to his errors and what happened happened.

I've seen my share of wraps and ejections on the river but I keep my judgements to myself and will always discuss what went wrong in the accident and why.

Here's a great read from teton gravity and I feel like the overall message transfers over to the whitewater community perfectly.

Why Avalanche Victims Get Publicly Shamed - And Why They Shouldn’t | Teton Gravity Research

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
To the spirit of charity in these threads...I agree. Its too easy to jump to conclusion in life and the internet makes it easier. I have been on both sides.

A caveat, and where i disagree, is using the term victim in this case. I think we devalue terms like victim (even more irked by how people throw around the word tragedy) in situations like these. I dont see Wayward as a victim by definition or spirit.

As well, there is a narrative unraveling to this entire saga that is leaving me uncomfortable with the OP. The thread has reached almost fifteen pages and the story has taken months to share. The innuendo is strong a this point and it seems to involve serious themes that affect boaters across the west. This approach doesnt fit the criticism of the attached link well at all. We dont see someone sharing a story in clear, humble terms (the grizzly gulch duo); the OP isnt being forced to participate in a public arena when they prefer processing it privately; etc.

I see the problem with casting blame or forcing accountability in a situation like this. But i also think the manner in which the OP is proceeding is just as problematic. It may be a good yarn but its coming off as manipulative to me. To say I am skeptical of the intentions at this point is an understatement.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote