Lost Oar Rig San Miguel - Page 15 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-14-2016   #141

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Images

The above images were made at 3:15, the day after the wrap, June 11, 2016. The river level against the upstream side of the boulder was about a foot higher than when we wrapped.

Wayward Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #142

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbseay View Post
Speculative ending based on clues in early chapters, highlight white text below if you like guesses:

~I bet the use of an aircraft proved fortuitous because the lost raft was discovered on land...
Perhaps the landowner who "owns both sides of the river, and that rock in the middle"? Seems like the kind of person who would view the raft as finders keepers since it was trespassing on his rock. ~

I'm looking forward to finding out!
[/COLOR]
Sorry, but I removed your "hidden white text". First post, I had to verify you weren't spamming us...

and as far as those pictures go, that is a simple class II move. Kinda sad that you wrapped it and had an epic...
Old 10-15-2016   #143

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Sorry, but I removed your "hidden white text". First post, I had to verify you weren't spamming us...

and as far as those pictures go, that is a simple class II move. Kinda sad that you wrapped it and had an epic...
Ditto. Kind of makes post #59 seem a little melodramatic. Not saying bad things didn't happen, but... were you asleep, drunk, stoned...?

Having posted this I fully admit I was goofing off one time and almost wrapped on Winnie's rock.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #144

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
It does look like there was plenty of room to the left, but in fairness, it also looks like there was a pretty significant bend just upstream, and that because of the bend most of the current is being thrown to the outside, right side of the river.

Probably not quite as easy a move as it looks like in October, at low water, from the comfort of your couch.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #145

C. Springs, Colorado
Why do I get the feeling that the boat ended up on shore..... by the rock it was stuck on????
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #146

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Class II move, no doubt. No excuses.

My immediate demise was the log (and allowing myself to be distracted scouring the bank for a place to bivouac. I should have been focused entirely on getting down into the canyon proper which would have put us well left of the boulder ---and presumably at a decent campsite). Had the log not been there, stopping the nose of the boat and giving the current the right tube to bite and submerge, I'd have made the turn into the chute. The log was still there when the above images were made. Because of the higher flow (about a foot at the rock), it is no longer visible. I could see it was there from the bank. (I can barely see it in the original photo files.) One of several reasons for returning to the sight was to look to see if the log had broken, thereby freeing the boat. From the beginning, it was difficult accepting that the boat, and the items left on the rock, had washed away of their own accord.

I was not impaired in any way (other than general fatigue and a compelling desire for a piece of shore).
Wayward Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #147

Morgantown, West Virginia
Quote:
Not sure how I could spam via font selection? But the edit is certainly your prerogative; I learned the trick on other boards as a way to mask tv show spoilers and speculation, of all things .
Joined in 2009, Could've sworn I'd posted here before, but maybe I was always just a lurker.

JB
jbseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #148

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Boatman View Post
Class II move, no doubt. No excuses.
In hindsight. Would cutting the bottom free, to possibly assist a release from the rock, been worthwhile?

I've heard just one cut on the rope holding the boat to floor can .............
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #149

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Quote:

Agreed. Admittadly, I'm a noob, only bought a boat earlier this year, but did put in a full season of rafting and my initial thoughts when seeing the pics are, "are you f**king kidding me?". I dare say that I believe I could eject my self from my boat, into the drink, and swim my Super Duper Puma through those ferocious rapids, whilst still able to pull myself back into my boat after.

Or....I could lay back on my cooler and snooze through the left side. I called BS on this story after the second post from WB.
Groover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #150

Southern, Oregon
What are you calling BS on? He wrapped his raft on a rock. It happens, often in times in spots you would least expect it.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote