Lost Oar Rig San Miguel - Page 11 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2016   #101

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
This is a pretty epic tale, and I can't wait to read more. If y'all want a story to hold you over check out this one that my buddy wrote up about a trip last year. I posted it to a new thread and thought y'all would enjoy it since its a similar story and it has a real ending.
My story "Escaping Desolation"

Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #102
$5 shower

Historic Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Great Story

Where's the popcorn?
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #103

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
The missing oar rig was spotted this morning from the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Where's the popcorn?
Better go long on the popcorn.

After the initial series of Lost & Found posts by the OP in the first two weeks we then see the more complete installments.

Part 1 was two weeks ago.
Part 2 was one week ago.
Part 3 was one week ago.
A teaser one week ago.
Part 4 seventeen hours ago.

So allowing for the general Buzz timeline ............

carry the 5 ............

Columbus Day for part 5.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #104

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Part 5

I observed two couples ---one couple in each four-wheeler. Caretaker B, piloting the first machine, was promptly at my side, with rope in hand, with all the right questions, in all the right order: “Is anybody injured’ “How many people are involved?” “Is there anybody else downstream?”

“Listen,” he said, “We’re going to get her, and all your gear, including the raft, off the rock right now. Tonight.”

“Well, I appreciate your ambition, but..”

“Look. We have heavy equipment. A backhoe. Come-alongs. Etc.”

I interrupted, “Getting the boat off the rock means getting me with a good line back onto the raft. ---Not going to happen under darkness! Now that you are here, I am going to reprioritize, and get her off the rock. That’s enough. Leave the gear. The rest can wait until morning. That boat, and that gear, are going nowhere tonight.” He accepted.

I then reminded The First Mate, via hand signals and gestures, to hold the throw bag to her chest, with the line draped over her left shoulder, and to slide into the current, belly up, and to keep her face skyward.

He interjected: “What?” “You are going to have her jump into the river just holding on to a rope?”

“Yes”, I said.

“No. No. No. She has to be tied to the rope!”

So began a debate/argument between Caretaker B and me that lasted several precious minutes.

He declared, “Listen. We own both sides of the river ---hence, we own that rock! You are on our property, trespassing essentially, and I am not about to let you do that! She must be tied to the rope.“

I yelled, “I’ve done this dozens of times. This is how it must be done. This is really treacherous water. She must be free to let go of the rope. To be fixed to it could be deadly. Please!”

Finally, after quite a battle, he conceded. “Since you are “the expert”, we’ll do it your way.”

By then, Caretaker B, was at our side as well. He had apparently driven the two female companions back to the lodges to prepare for our arrival and he had returned.

So, on signal, The First Mate jumped into the river. I had her on a pendulum to shore in less than half the distance it had taken me to swim it. Caretaker A was right there to help her out of the current. We two piled into the back of the four-wheeler, with them in front, and they whisked us off to safety. I learned that this was a fishing lodge, and that they had no guests due to the high water/poor fishing. There were multiple cabins on the premises.

True sanctuary after tremendous peril is heavenly. In this case, a gorgeous, huge cabin with a large slate patio, and a triple sized sunken slate hot tub. We stripped down and clamoured into the tub. They brought us black coffee and whisky. The caretaker’s wives took our clothes away to tumble dry. The two caretakers retreated. We were left to bask in the bubbling hot water and to consider our fortune. ---All grins and giggles and sighs. We were elated to be alive and safe, unequivocally.
Wayward Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #105

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
At the very least the guy knows the correct time and location to wrap a boat. Hope the final conclusion ends as well.

This thread would get a lot more exposure and interest if it were in a more popular category. How often does anyone go to Lost and Found anyway?
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #106

cedar city, Utah
Pushing 30k page views, not too shabby for a thread. I am starting to wonder if this isn't a lost episode of "How I Met Your Mother". It just needs a Bob Saget voice over.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #107

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
So Sad

"Listen. We own both sides of the river ---hence, we own that rock!"

30,000 views for this thread. So sad we can't get together and protect access and rights to our navigable waterways. When will Coloradans stand up and stop the privatization of our rivers and wilderness. While you read this very post some rich Texan just bought another section of the Yampa you will never see. Bullshit!! Forget about Trump and Hillary and handle some local business. Suggestions ?
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #108

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdon View Post
At the very least the guy knows the correct time and location to wrap a boat. Hope the final conclusion ends as well.
Based on earlier hints and intimations from the OP, the hot tub may be the high point of the trip.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #109

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimteam101 View Post
"Listen. We own both sides of the river ---hence, we own that rock!"

30,000 views for this thread. So sad we can't get together and protect access and rights to our navigable waterways. When will Coloradans stand up and stop the privatization of our rivers and wilderness. While you read this very post some rich Texan just bought another section of the Yampa you will never see. Bullshit!! Forget about Trump and Hillary and handle some local business. Suggestions ?
Colorado could learn some lessons...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Stream_Access_Law
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #110

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Pushing 30k page views, not too shabby for a thread. I am starting to wonder if this isn't a lost episode of "How I Met Your Mother". It just needs a Bob Saget voice over.
Yes, I agree this has a following but it seems quite a few regulars have not chimed in and what follows the hot tub with cocktails could go in many directions as well. Could be April 1 before the finale.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote