Mountain Buzz banner

Lost Hyside (yellow) Raft on Salmon

Tags
rafting
3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  lmaciag 
#1 ·
Wow, there is a lot of lost gear floating in our rivers...guess that is the norm around this time of year! Well I am sad to post that I lost my yellow 16' Hyside raft on the Salmon River. It was flipped on the MF but I have reports it was floating right-side up past the Corn Creek putin of the Main. Also another member of my group lost a purple Maravia, last seen floating upside-down past Corn Crk. This all occurred on Saturday (5th) evening. Big reward! 303-527-0191.

#4 ·
Not a full trip report yet but check out the thread "Accident in Hancock, MF" or something like that.

Update - a private group (many thanks) was able to corral the purple Maravia near Whitewater Ranch (40 miles below Corn Crk) but they weren't able to get my yellow Highside that was at that time floating upside-down in the middle of the current. Scott from Durango found my cooler (huge thanks!), with contents still inside, down below Chittam, ~80 miles below Corn Crk. So the boat is certainly having a wild ride and could be heading through Riggins and then maybe into Hells Canyon of Snake. I've called and notified all I can think of (commercials in Riggins and FS at Hells Canyon) but if anyone knows who else to contact that would be great. If anyone sees or hears anything about my boat on its way to the Pacific it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#7 ·
As water levels drop there will be a lot of kayakers on the South Fork Salmon (comes in right at Mackay Bar). I am sure they could be hired (beer) to row your boat out the last 20 miles of flat Main Fork.

The folks at MacKay Bar saved my ass years ago when I did not bring enough coffee and was facing a mutiny, good folks!

#8 ·
As water levels drop there will be a lot of kayakers on the South Fork Salmon (comes in right at Mackay Bar). I am sure they could be hired (beer) to row your boat out the last 20 miles of flat Main Fork.
Thanks for the thought Rich. Already a truck going to Whitewater Ranch to recover another boat, so this will be a second stop and it should be picked up today.

#9 ·
I was with the group that helped get the Avon out of the main on Saturday evening. We were all very happy to see the quad cat come down the rio with all missing parties.. Glad you got the boats & gear back as well!

The Seattle crew camped at crow sun night & was very concerned about you all..

#10 ·
Nice to see that the boat was recovered and that everyone was safe.
I'm curious, my group was at California our last night, 6/2...when we woke, the water had heavily encroached on the camp - it was at 50,000 when we got off, 6/3 - does anyone know California was there at all when it got up to 83,000? Sorry to digress on this thread but since you got your gear I thought rather than starting another one...Also, what camps are in when the water get up to 83,000?

#12 ·
Beth -

We stopped at California for lunch around 1pm on Thursday, 6/3, and it was barely there. Three years ago at lower water it was a HUGE camp.

Still can't believe we were so close and didn't run into each other!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.