Mountain Buzz banner

lost gear on RFR and CO river

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Rock-a-fella 
#1 ·
Our raft flipped on where the RFR and the CO meet by two river park. Everyone made it and we are very thankful for that. We lost the following items. If you happen to see them please call me at 970-274-4930

1 bright yellow pouch with 2 cell phones and 2 go pro batteries. this pouch floats ( they say)

10 paddles

1 paddle that had a go pro attached was lost in the rapids on the RFR

1 black wireless speaker

Thanks for your help

#9 ·
I am also curious how you flipped at a flat water confluence and managed (from you long list of lost gear) to yard sale literally everything you had in the raft down the river? I don't mean to be a dick but I'm thinking that maybe from now on you should get you water fix on the slide in the Glenwood Hotsprings pool and leave the river to people who have business on it.

I am really starting to get tired of getting on Mountain Buzz everyday and reading yet another thread about some jack wagon lost their gear doing something stupid on the river.

I know that swims happen, that is part of the game, and when they happen we all want our gear back. But seriously where is the respect for the river people? Even if it is class II there is plenty of danger once you leave your craft. Colorado rivers are cold and the water is moving fast this time of year. Did you know you can still get hypothermia on a 90 degree day?

one last note no one wants to see your Class II failed booze cruze go pro footage.

#10 ·
ok I have to apologize for my earlier post. I feel like an ass. I was in a super bad mood and took it out on this thread.... with that being said I have to say I was serious. I could have been more politically correct, however, my point about being safe on the river stands. respect the river.

#13 ·
I guess my question is..."why do you feel we don't respect the river" you dint even know us...isn't that like saying that everyone who has a car accident doesn't respect the road...that type of general statement is not fair. You were not there, and clearly we have our own regrets from that day. Even good rafters can have this happen to them...and yes, that includes you my friend. Don't let your self ever think you are above an accident. Please take comfort in knowing that I pray that this never ever happens to you..But if I do see you on MB asking for our community to keep an eye out for your equipment I will not ridicule you but instead give thanks that you are safe and honestly keep an eye out for your gear. That is the way I was raised, I would never take pleasure in kicking someone who is already down. I would never post a video of this horrible situation. But I do want to say that the paddle with the go pro on it was recovered by a professional rafter who was not only very honest, but very compassionate and human about what we went through. Rather than making us feel even worse he found a way to make me feel better. If reading about rafters that have lost gear due to what ever reason causes you to lash out at people I would encourage you to stop reading the lost and found section...I feel confidant your mother would not be proud right now:confused:

#16 ·
Hey, kittis,

I'm gonna throw my two cents in here, completely unsolicited (as per the usual).

I can see where the rant came from - admittedly the primary factor was a bad day - and I think the quick, unsolicited apology was super solid, other dude or dudette.

The thing is, when I read your post and all of the gear you lost, the part that jumped out at me was "10 paddles". I did admittedly think, "Jesus H., every single person let go of their paddle? Someone is gonna raze them over this."

I've been around the river in a lot of different capacities, as a SAR swift water rescue swimmer, a professional guide, a drunk fun boater, and more. But I do also still remember the early years of my boating career when it was probably only a little bit of intellect and physical aptitude, and a lot of luck, that prevented me from ever experiencing something like this (before I was ready to handle it like a pro).

My perception - my reality - is that there will always be pro boaters (sponsored athletes or commercial guides), avid and seasoned fun boaters, and people who are new to the sport. Pro boaters and seasoned fun boaters sometimes get pissy when shitshows like the one you threw down happen - but I like to hope that it comes from a motive of just not wanting anyone to die doing something they love and want to promote. At least that's my take on it - I want the river to accessible to anyone who would like to experience, and see if it's something they want to make a part of their life. It literally, without a doubt, has changed the course of mine, and I want to use that passion to connect people with the river, and use the river to connect people. Part of that is wanting everyone to have a positive experience, or at least not have a really bad one including loss of property, injury, or worse.

I'll never forget my river mentor's counsel in my early boating years: "You dance with the river, but the river always leads". It's sound wisdom born from a great many miles on the water, and it has never been forgotten.

PS - as a boat flipping, frequent swim team participant, I might add - You can fuck off, until you fuck up. Try to make river friends with more experienced boaters and get some miles in with them, and be better prepared to handle the situation next time! I consider flipping a boat "fucking off". No harm done. Losing all of your shit is getting close to fucking up. We the people of the river just want to see others show her the respect she deserves. We just don't want to see you lose something that money can't replace.

Get your outfit back together, and get back to the clean rivers and dirty nights that we all love. Happy boating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.