Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Lost & Found

Old 06-26-2013   #1
Golden, Coal Creek Canyon
Paddling Since: 2013
Dog swept down South Boulder Creek in Walker Ranch

I was hiking Walker Ranch with my 3 dogs and one got caught in a current (down where the stairs go down to meet the creek by the bridge). I jumped in to get him and I got pulled under as well. I managed to grab my dog and latch onto a large rock right before the falls, thinking we both may go over. While holding on with all the energy I have (and to my 70# rotti/hound) my other dog came in after us and got swept into the rapids. I hiked and rock climbed for hours looking for him all along the creek side Monday. I went out again after I brought my dogs home and did the same thing. Tuesday I did the whole loop and again all along the creek side until it was physically impossible to go any farther. Today I went out again with help from friends and rangers (who have been out there every day and have been very supportive). I feel like I've explored all I can on land and was hoping to find a dog loving, experienced kayaker who might be interested in going down South Boulder Creek to help look for him. I know the rapids are level 5-6 right now, so I'm not sure if that's even an option, but I thought I would try and see if anyone was interested. If not, no worries. I'm just trying to explore all options. Boulder Emergency Squad is setting up a team to go out Saturday, but if he is alive somewhere, I am afraid that won't be then. Any help is greatly appreciated

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #2
pnw, Washington
Sad story. I hope you get your dog back.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #3
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I am so sorry, good luck. Hope he is ok.
skideeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #4
They call me Jon
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Best of luck as well. I hope this one turns out positive for you.
cheifitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #5
Commercial Paleontology
Sorry to hear this...Are you checking your local shelters/humane societies, etc.? Dogs are pretty tough animals...Hopefully he made it Ok & is just lost right now...Keep us updated on the situation...Best of Luck..
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #6
Three of us ran it this evening but saw no sign of the dog. We weren't able to investigate every part of the creek as we were focused on navigating it. Hopefully, he made it out and is still lost in the woods. It was a lengthy stretch of whitewater below the bridge and would have been a difficult swim, but dogs are pretty scrappy and resilient. Still hoping for a happy outcome.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #7
Bromfield, Colorado
Thinking of you

I still hope and pray that he makes it home to you. We had met up at the creek where your dogs where playing in the water after we had crossed paths coming down the trail. I have been so concerned about you and your dogs. I was telling the story to someone and they told me they had seen these posts.
Take care
4eversunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #8
Golden, Coal Creek Canyon
Paddling Since: 2013
Chucky update- still looking:(

BES said the waters were too rough and canceled the search. Thanks for people's support. I have been hiking around there every day for the past 5 days. I followed the creek all the way to the resorvoir where the dam is scanning the creek sides as best I could from the land. I also looked in every opening in rocks near the creek sides and on down trees. I have not seen any sign of him. I will not go out there today (Saturday) because I had to return to work and I'm hoping there will be enough hikers out there and maybe kayakers as well. I know how rough the waters are and I appreciate you guys who have been out there, but I still need to keep looking, so if anyone feels like going out again this weekend I would really appreciate it and be happy to meet up. Channel 9 news did a brief thing on it and I have put signs all over Eldorado Canyon (incase he washes downstream) and all the trailheads around Walker Ranch. I work at the humane Society in Boulder and have emailed every shelter and emergency hospital in the area. Rangers have been out there as well and they think he may be lodged under water. I don't know what else to do aside from keep searching. Any help is greatly appreciated, especially from the water, because I don't know what else I can do from land. If any one is going out there this weekend text me 206-227-4469. Once I'm in the mountains I will not get reception, which is also where I live, but I check my email often. Thanks for everyone's support
Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
REally sorry for your friend. Can you describe exactly where last seen?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #10
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm not familiar with the area but could some one rappel down check out the area and climb out?

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote