Old 05-31-2009   #1
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bad Flip on the East River stolen Boat!

I was floating the East river just outside Crested Butte CO on Saturday May 30th. At about 2:45 we flipped the boat and went swimming. We saved the kids from being lodged under the boat and all made it to shore safely. About a mile from where we flipped we found our boat pinned in the river on a tree jam just passed the Roaring Judy Fish Hatchery. We climbed down the steep embankment pulled the raft up the side of the mountain and left the boat at the top of the hill. We needed to get the kids home and dry. When we came back to get the boat, 30 or 40 minutes at most the boat was gone. Someone took our boat and they had to be crafty because you literally had to drive off the hwy on a 4x4 road to retrieve it. It was an 11 foot AIRE. Red. Three Grey Thwarts, Grey standard Floor.Not a self-bailer. No patches. Beautiful Condition. It had a red and White safety rope around the boat through all the D-rings with a ten foot safety tail of the same red and white rope. The middle thwart was upside down with the zipper side up! It had an NRS paddle strapped to the side that was yellow and blue with the name Andrew Willis on it. We are so bummed about it I can not even put it into words. If you hear stories about someone taking a boat off the side of HWY 135 and they are boasting that they scored, or if you see our boat please call us. My name is Jenny my number is 970-275-9511. I really am shocked something like this would happen. At least we all survived the river. I am however really sad someone would do this! Any help or info would be so appreciated. Thanks and happy rafting!

elranchorelaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #2
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
find em and kill em

bookmillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3
nomad, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We'll be on the lookout up here. Nothing worse than a thief
jhalseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #4
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I will keep my ear to the ground on both ends of the valley.
oc1gunny is offline   Reply With Quote