Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 03-30-2010   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Your comments on kokatat semi dry suit would be appreciated

Anyone try the kokatat semi dry suit or swift entry? I would like to move from a wet suit to a dry or semi dry suit, but have concerns about the comfort of a tight neck gasket.

airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #2
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have Supernova, which I just got and tried it on WW last Sunday. It was very very comfy and kept me dry.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Thanks for your comment. How does it fit size wise? I am between a medium and a large and thinking I would need to go with a large unless they run big.
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #4
The Russian
SLC, Utah
I am 5'10" 175 lbs medium built. I went with the medium size and I am glad I did so far. I was told to go large, but medium fits me really well. I tried with 2 layers of thick polyester coats and thick layered pants, I could move easily without any problems at all.

I personally would recommend getting it from a place that could exchange it. I ordered it through Clavey.com and we had to exchange my wife's size (large to medium), they didn't give us any grief at all.

If I were you, I would order it from REI and use their 20% off coupon, you could save $98 dollars off their $485 retail price. Kokatat Tropos SuperNova Dry Suit at REI.com REI is awesome at taking stuff back and exchanging it too.

A buddy of mine just got back from GC and he said there were two SuperNovas there, one took a swim through Lava. He said the guy was completely dry inside even after swimming such a big rapid.

Hope it works out well. Also do a search on this forum, there are quite a few threads about this same topic (I started it myself
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This suit has no neck gasket. It would be great for getting splashed on a raft, but not so good for swimming or rolling.

This is the only suit sold in youth sizes. I got one for Riley and glued in a neck gasket. It is now totally dry for him.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #6
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
I have used the Supernova for a couple of years now. I've worn it for two Swiftwater Rescue courses where we spent a lot of time in the water, some on river rescues, the Grand, a couple of Salt trips, a couple of Middle Fork trips plus a few more. Water in the neck has not been a problem. If you swim in the thing, your PFD is going to keep your head/neck out of the water most of the time anyway. Your head would have to be under water for a bit of time before water thru the neoprene would be a problem. The neoprene collar is comfortable and keeps the water out. If you are running a raft, I don't think there is any better way to go.

Since I don't kayak and have never been upside down in one while getting thrashed, I won't comment about it, but I'm guessing there is a reason that Kayakers wear full dry suits.

PS. I'm 5'9", 190 and wear a large. I know, a little extra around the middle, but I'm on old guy.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I have a Stholquist G-Pod with a tunnel that I like a lot. The gasket doesn't bother me. Got it from REI due to the great return policy and the 20% off deal. Had it for 2 years and the booties started leaking a bit. I emailed Stholquist to ask them what I should seal it with, they took it back and replaced the booties and retaped a couple of spots, dropped it back in the mail a week and a half later. It's worth checking out.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #8
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
A friend of mine just got the Kokotat Angler drysuit with a neoprene neck and he really liked it. We took a swift water rescue class together and he didn't get wet at all.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #9
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I own the Supernova and have swam in it once. It kept me totally dry,but I wouldn't say I 'got worked' in the swim....

It's a great dry-suit(semi) for a rafter,esp at that price.

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote