Mountain Buzz banner

York Box

15K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  slamkal 
#1 ·
I am interested in buying a used york box. Can't find a new one anywhere. Large or small,yellow or green, gasket leaks thats ok also.

#2 ·
You can't find a new one because they don't make them anymore. Most folks who have them won't part with them. Good luck in your search.
KJ

#3 ·
I am lucky to have a york box, wish I could find another one as well.

Here is a good sub for a york box that I use as a cook box. Bigger than york boxes but much dryer.

Dry Box Products Page

The rubber cord system looks risky but has survived a raft flip. I added a couple cam straps over the rubber cords just to be on the safe side but the dry box designer sez not necessary.

#5 ·
I am lucky to have a york box, wish I could find another one as well.

Here is a good sub for a york box that I use as a cook box. Bigger than york boxes but much dryer.

Dry Box Products Page

The rubber cord system looks risky but has survived a raft flip. I added a couple cam straps over the rubber cords just to be on the safe side but the dry box designer sez not necessary.
i sent them an email last year asking if they had considered making a smaller size, advising that there would be a sustainable market for them, but never got a response.

#6 ·
Hard to tell from that small picture, but it sure looks like my York 200, just without the harness. You may be on to something. Maybe I'll have to shoot them an e-mail for more info & better pictures.
KJ

#8 ·
just got this reply

Hey Matt,

Unfortunately we do not have any York Packs for retail; however, we do have a few in rental. If you're looking to use one in this neck of the woods, then let us know.

We do have the Harmony Barrell Packs (60L and 30L) in stock for retail. Let us know if you're intersted in one of these.

Thanks,
Brian

St. Regis Canoe Outfitters
73 Dorsey Street
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
518-891-1838 or toll free 1-888-775-2925
www.canoeoutfitters.com

so there you go, the hunt continues.....

#9 ·
I've seen a couple of those barrels in action; they were old, and were semi-dry. I suspect when they were new they were pretty good, but use and sun exposure had taken their toll. But for their price ($55-80), they may be well worth it for stuff that doesn't have to stay absolutely dry.

#14 ·
I use vittles a lot and love them. I am in search of some new gaskets as they are a bit lame. I put everything in them in plastic, but haven't found any leakage yet. Fortunately I've not flipped with them. They are nice for going light and small, a nice tiny dry box.

#17 ·
What's the advantage of a York box over a conventional dry box? I've never owned one so maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.

A regular dry box is easy to rig/derig and pretty damn durable and can be custom made to fit perfectly in a frame.

Is it price or durability or some cult following?

#18 ·
Light, durable, easy to carry, will hold a small kitchen, easy to tie down. You can still have a conentional drybox on the boat, but I gave up hauling those beasts all the way up to camp a long time ago and went to the yorkpak for the kitchen essentials.

#19 ·
York box is a nice compact size. rounded edges. lots of hole for attachment points.

Price was not that bad when they were available. Not totally waterproof but splash proof.

Mine is a perfect place for a couple GSI 12 in Dutch Ovens, partner steel big coffee pot, a big coffee press and a bunch of DO cooking tools. Fits great into the front compartment of my Aire 143.

I am sure an aluminum box could be made that would work just as well if not better. But, to the best of my knowledge would need to be made custom.

I have a standard aluminum dry (semi dry) box that fits between the two cross rails of the compartment I set on to row. Due to weight and hassle there is no way I would take it out during a float trip.

This may not answer your question as well as you would like but is what comes to mind for my use of my original york box.

#25 ·
ooooh, more new plastic toys..... need... to... put.. on... xmas list....

just spoke to nrs c/s. dimensions appear to be taken from the outside of the "lip"
so for the larger box the width under the "lip" is 14.75", 15.75 at "lip" and 16.75" (closer to 17 per c/s rep) on lip where the straps go thru.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.