Old 04-18-2011   #21
Vail, Colorado
This is going to launch a whole shit storm but oh well.
I am amazed at how much people take for granted local, specialty stores. We all know the internet offers the best deals out there.
So your local shop doesn't have the boat that you want to paddle, so you order it online. Two weeks in you loose both nuts that hold the bulkhead to the boat. And you notice it the night before you leave for Westwater. Where are you going to go for those parts? Gonna order them online?
Two days before your trip you realize the glue in your repair kit is expired. Where do you go for the glue?

I could go on for days on this subject but the point I am trying to make is retail locations cannot thrive on glue and bulkhead nuts. Rapid magazine always has a little blurb in their magazines that I want to share: "Do You Like Having a Paddling Shop in your Town? Support It!"

elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #22
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
I love when I go to a bike shop and they dont have the part I need and they say " but we can order it and it will be here in a few days". Yeah? I can order it too, probably for less money, and it will be on my doorstep in a few days.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #23
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I can get neither bulkheads nor nuts at my local shop. They have zero gear. This is why I don't make an effort to support them right now.

I think the rapid design progress of the late 90's early 2000's took a real toll. Shops had to guess what to buy and if they were wrong they had to take a hit on a 9 month old boat becuase a much better design was coming out tomorrow. The product life cycle was so short it was tough to be in retail and shops got burned.
bummer for everyone.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #24
Boise, Idaho
Wow, this thread has taken off from my original post. Lots of good points here but for me it simple economics and trade-offs. It's a cooler after all. So to me its very price elastic or price sensitive. There are a couple great local shops here, but it isn't worth it for me to spend $100 more at those places for the same exact cooler. On the other hand, there are many things I do buy at those local shops where their expert knowledge is worth it. So I'll save the $100 for the lack of being able to talk to someone about coolers and whether or not Engel's, Galaxy's, and Yeti's are better than Coleman's and Igloo's. Not to mention Costco has an amazing return policy, much better than most local shops. If REI would have offered Yeti's at full price, I would have no problem shopping there paying full retail for an item with a lifetime warranty. But to each there own.
mora2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #25
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Let me preface by saying I'm pretty sure in another post I mentioned how much of a cheap bastard I am.

I would NEVER have purchased a yeti cooler at the $449 price. I bought one 120qt at Costco for $359 last summer. That being said I expect it to be fully warranteed by either Yeti, Costco, or AMEX because it is a yeti and how was I to know how or why the product is distributed and why should I care as its not like I bought it off of a guy at a loading dock in Hong Kong or whereever they ship them from.

This sounds like an internal pissing match its obvious you can't stock and ship that many coolers in a warehouse store without Yeti knowing about it and consenting, unless they ship their products without questioning who the customer is and in that case why are they circumventing their own dealer network? How can costco get them for that much cheaper if they are not a dealer?

Had I known at the time they were "made in China" i would have probably considered another brand where at least I know for an exhorbitant sum of money that somebody somewhere locally is being employed building them and that someone somewhere distant is not being exploited.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #26
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
Is it true? Have the a$$hole$ of the corporate world stuck it to me again? Are YETI coolers made in china? (sorry if I'm really hijacking this thread) I just spent a shit load of money on a new Idaho American made Cat. My dream boat has a Montana American made frame and Utah American made oars, and sitting right up front is a 155qt YETI cooler. I assumed that for the price I paid for this cooler it was also an American product. Please Buzzards, Tell me it ain't so... At least I know my River Bank toilet was made in the good old USA.
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #27
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where are your coolers manufactured?

• Our manufacturing facilities are in the Philippines and Iowa, USA.
  • Our company headquarters and U.S. distribution facility is in Austin, Texas
  • Our Canada distribution facility is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (780-484-2350)
their website: yeti coolers
boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #28
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
I just went to the garage and looked the cooler over, under, and inside out, and I couldn't find anything that proclaimed "made in the USA". Did I just pay $500+ for a Philippine product. I think I may have just gotten the big ole dis-tri-buttholen by them texans.
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #29
Pretty sure Igloos are made in the US...
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #30
C. Springs, Colorado
They have pallets of them for $359.00 each here in C Springs. Saw them last night. I asked them about warrenty and the guy said just to bring it back if I had a problem with it.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote