Mountain Buzz banner

Yesterdays bikes for sale:

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  GAtoCSU 
#1 ·
Yesterday their was a list of bikes for sale. I am attempting to buy one of those bikes but it appears it may be a scam.

Their response is below. I have provided them with a work address and have asked them to give me a list of satisfied customers or in the alternative take credit card.

I'll update when I hear back next. The same list of bikes is on the swap right now under cheap bikes, although the one I want is $200 more on that list.

Again, this is a $5500 bike, so it seems too good to be true.

Thanks for your email we have the Specialized Stupmjumper Fsr pro Carbon 2009 available in store.

The Bike is a complete bike and new.

We ship to you via Ups shipping company which will take 2 days delivery to your door step.

We accept payment via western union money transfer

Below is your order summary:

1 Unit of Specialized Stupmjumper Fsr pro Carbon 2009:$1,800usd

Shipping and Handling fee to Canada:$100usd

Tota Cost:$1,900usd

Specialized Stupmjumper Fsr pro Carbon 2009 Specs:

Small, medium, large, xlarge Available
ColorsGloss Brown Tint Carbon, Gloss Carbon/ Blue
Frame & Fork
Frame Construction Bonded/monocoque
Frame Tubing Material Specialized FACT 9m carbon Az1 w/M5 alloy rear triangle
Fork Brand & Model Specialized Future Shock S120, 120mm travel
Fork Material Carbon/aluminum, single crown
Rear Shock Specialized AFR Brain Shock, 120mm travel
Components
Component Group SRAM X.0/mix
Brakeset Avid Ultimate SL w/203 or 185mm rotor front/Avid Ultimate SL w/185 or 160mm rotor rear brakes, Avid Ultimate SL Hydraulic levers
Shift Levers SRAM X.0 Trigger
Front Derailleur Shimano XT, DMD
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.0
Crankset Shimano XT, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals Not applicable
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT Hollowtech II
BB Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Chain SRAM PC-971
Seatpost Thomson Elite Set-back, 30.9mm diameter
Saddle Specialized Format
Handlebar Specialized low riser
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Specialized adjustable
Headset 1 1/8" Specialized Campy-style
Wheels
Hubs Front: Specialized Hi Lo disc, Rear: DT Swiss 280S w/RWS
Rims DT Swiss XR 4.2D, 28-hole/32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.20" Specialized S-Works The Captain
Spoke Brand DT Swiss Super Comp stainless steel, 14/17/15ga. (2.0/1.7/1.8mm) butted
Spoke Nipples Alloy

Get back to us with your full informations such as your Full name,Full Address so that we can pack the bike and proceed with your order.

Best Regards
Thomas Cycles

See less See more
#4 ·
Probably

Certainly if you flash through the classfieds on the net, this same list is all over the place.

Poster listed his home as Akron Ohio. No Thomas Cycles in Akron. I'll play it out and see if they get me a bike in any way without sending a wire. If they do, this is an incredible deal. If not, I'll let people know.

#5 ·
Were ya'll born yesterday? Yes this is a scam. For gawd's sake, the guy had "black market bikes" on the classified list. What makes you think this is legit? Do you answer Nigerian emails too? "Well, maybe he is the prince of tongallia...and he needs my help!"

#6 ·
Funky sounding grammar is a MAJOR, MAJOR red flag. Sure, the guy who wrote the email to you could be a high school dropout... I see worse than this on the buzz every day... but I would never buy anything online from someone who wrote this:

"Thanks for your email we have the Specialized Stupmjumper Fsr pro Carbon 2009 available in store.

The Bike is a complete bike and new.

We ship to you via Ups shipping company which will take 2 days delivery to your door step."

Read it to yourself out loud. It is weird. That was not written by a native English speaker. I doubt there are very many Ukranian bike mechanics in Ohio. Also, UPS is not shipping a bike anywhere in 2 days.

Stay away from them.

I collect vintage toys and I have done thousands of deals online so I know a scam when I see one. This one IS DEFINITELY A SCAM.

#7 ·
I'll play it out and see what happens. One of my co workers just got an s works road bike that retails for 9,900 for 1800. That was a craigs list deal. I say it's a hot bike. He says he called the guy and it was a shop owner who had to dump inventory after a bankruptcy.

It came still in the original box and was the goods as advertised

I'm not dumb enough to send money, but will play it out and let everyone know if there is a new way to get equipment at a way low price point.

I'll report and you can all call me stupid for wasting my time. I can't criticize grammar or spelling. I am the worst offender on this or any site on that issue.

#12 ·
Here's the latest

It appeears my hopes have been dashed. Here is the most recent interaction

As a third alternative, I would be happy to send a check for an amount well in excess ofyour asking price $2,500 USD. I would arange for a shipping service to arrive with the check, and take you to the bank and cash the check. They then would take deliver of the bike and arange for it to be shipped to my address. Hopefully one of these alternatives can work for you. Finally, we could use a internet based service like pay pal to confirm the money and the delivery from both ends. With the number of adds you have out their in the classified bike sections I know you must be ligitimate, but one can never be too careful with the scum sucking Nigerians trying to steal from honest people of late.
Let me know what works best for you from these choices​

Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:47 PM
To: 'thomascycles@hotmail.com'
Subject: Re: I am interested in the 09 stump jumper fsr carbon at $1800.

Thomas, I am happy to make a credit card payment to you. Western Union actually has advice on their site expressly indicating not to do what you are recomending. As an alternative, I could have a relative stop by your UK location and pay cash. As another alternative, I would pay with a money order upon delivery.

Let me know which works for you. I'm excited to get the bike!
--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

Sent: Thu Jul 02 16:04:04 2009
Subject: RE: I am interested in the 09 stump jumper fsr carbon at $1800.
Hello Ken,We received your full name and address.Presently we have packed you stumjumper pro carbon 09 with XL size and its ready to be shipped out to you...As for the payment we accept payment via western union but you can try use your credit card on western union website to transfer the payment.Since you are scared a bit on this transaction we have a security means when sending payment via western union,you will transfer the money then you put your brother's name or sister's name of the receiver of the money but to our address here in Uk this way we can not receive the money then we will ship out your bike as soon as we confirm the payment on western union website so when you receive your bike you go back to western union to change the receiver's name to our cashier's name so that we can receive the money,get back to us now so that we send you our address for the payment.Thanks

#13 ·
They were really pretty good

Four calls on Friday to my cell phone the last offering that if I just paid for th e shipping, they would ship the bike and then I could pay them today. Man, I really wanted that bike!!

That is a pure mixup because we are here in Uk,how on earth will i want to receive money to Uk while i am in Nigeria.

We are a legit seller and that's all i can say,if you can send the $150usd we can have a deal but i believe you won't be disappointed if you deeal with us.

Get back if you want us to continue with the deal.

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 08:02:04 -0600
To: thomascycles@hotmail.com

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}The fact that your URL indicates these emails are out of Nigeria has made me nervous. I will not use a wire service. I am happy to have a third party bring you cash.
Sent using BlackBerry

To:
Sent: Fri Jul 03 07:53:38 2009

Hello Ken,Ok lets do it this way for a start you i will trust you i will allow you send $100usd for the shipping fee first then we will ship to you when you receive the bike you send the money for Bike.

So the total cost you will pay now is Shipping Fee $100usd and the Customs Fee and Tax $50usd which makes a total cost of $150usd if you can transfer this payment first we are willing to ship to you.

We believe you won't run away with our money that is why we are trusting yo,So if you can send the $150usd get back to me so that i will give you the cashier's name and address so that you can transfer the money and we will ship out your Bike immediately.

You will get the bike on Monday morning if you transfer the $150usd today as soon as you receive it you send us the full money for the bike which will be $1,800usd.i believe we can work this way and i hope we won't disappoint each other on this transaction.

I wait your email so that we can proceed.

Best Regards
Thomas Cycles

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:42:35 -0600
To: thomascycles@hotmail.com

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}Thomas, it appears I can't do business with you.
Sent using BlackBerry

To:
Sent: Fri Jul 03 07:39:26 2009

Hello,
Thanks for your email,i checked your email very well and all the options your provided will not work according to our company policies.

Since you have someone in Uk that will make the process easier but note we don't accept local pick up,what will happen is that you will transfer the $1,900usd to the NAME and ADDRESS of the person you know in Uk this way we can not receive the payment.

You will give us the details to confirm the payment on western union website as soon as we confirm the payment is there we will ship out your bike and give you the tracking # to confirm the shipment.

So Once you receive your bike you will go back to the bank so that we can receive the payment.

We are not Nigerians and we will never be because that country is very bad.We are located here in Uk.Your bike is ready for shipment.
You send the payment to the name and address of the person you know in Uk and send me the Mtcn # and sender's Name so that we can ship out.

Best Regards.
Thomas Cycles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.